LS1 Vs. Mach 1

Silver95

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, who would take the cake in a street race, stock for stock? I also heard the LS1's respond better to mods then the Ford 4V motors?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Silver95 said:
Just out of curiosity, who would take the cake in a street race, stock for stock?
Driver's race. Can go either way since the cars 1/4 times are about the same stock/stock with the LS1 trapping slightly higher.
Silver95 said:
I also heard the LS1's respond better to mods then the Ford 4V motors?
I'd have to say the advantage goes to the LS1 with its bigger displacement... but both can be made insane for the right $$$.

Now lets see how long it takes for this to go to Smackdown... :pop:

Silver95

Established Member
I didnt mean to make it a war threat by any means, this is strictly info that im curious about.

I have heard that a lot of LS1's can get into the high 12's stock with a good driver? Is this true? What do they run stock and what does the Mach 1?

The terminator is clearly faster then the Ls1 powered GM's correct?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
Silver95 said:
I didnt mean to make it a war threat by any means, this is strictly info that im curious about.

I have heard that a lot of LS1's can get into the high 12's stock with a good driver? Is this true? What do they run stock and what does the Mach 1?

The terminator is clearly faster then the Ls1 powered GM's correct?
Didn't mean to impy that you did, but it seems that everytime this subject comes up a lot of LS1 owners get all butt hurt that a stock Mustang without a snake on it can show a stock F-bod taillights. Hell, some don't even want to admit that the Terminator can. :D

I've seen and heard the high twelves F-bod claims forever, but I've never actually seen it happen. May be possible, I guess, with a strong tailwind or if the car is "GM stock". All credible evidence I've seen and read is that both the cars are capable of very low 13's... the drivers are a different story.

A stock LS1 is no match for a stock 03/04 Cobra unless its mounted in a Corvette. Then you have a race. Of course all bets are off when the modding starts.

Last edited:

DesertMach

Established Member
I have heard the same thing, Drivers race with an advantage to the Mach1 if from a dig, but the advantage to the LS1 if a roll race..

Silver95

Established Member
I know of a local car here that has full 3inch corsa exhaust, SLP Cai and headers for power. The car was said to have around 350hp on a dyno jet? What sort of mods do the mach 1's require to be in this level of performance. I have also read that the machs are underated for their hp numbers? Is this also true for the LS1's?

Angus

Established Member
Silver95 said:
I know of a local car here that has full 3inch corsa exhaust, SLP Cai and headers for power. The car was said to have around 350hp on a dyno jet? What sort of mods do the mach 1's require to be in this level of performance. I have also read that the machs are underated for their hp numbers? Is this also true for the LS1's?

Mach's were under-rated @ 305 hp ('03 Mach) & 310 hp ('04 Mach). They actually make in the area of 320 - 340 (crank) hp based on all the dyno sheets I've seen.

Mod for mod, the LS1 will commonly make more rwhp - this makes 100% sense as the LS1 has a wopping 65 cubic inches of additional displacement over the little 281 cid Mach 4V.
There's also a wider variety of aftermarket camshafts available that can add significant rwhp to an LS1.

Racing is more than just rwhp though, and the Mach's seem to use the rwhp they do have more efficiently than the F-body cars do.

All the rwhp in the world is pretty much useless if you can't make it work for you... ;-)

Angus

Established Member
Silver95 said:
nice times, with what mods did you run the times?

A full list of my mods can be found HERE.

FWIW, I ran the 11.59 with 334 rwhp (that number is STD BTW - SAE would likely be 327 rwhp/335 rwtq).

machstang23

Established Member
Well my roommate had an 00' z-28 (auto), I don't know if it was an LT1 or LS1, (I'll ask him tonight when I get off work) but my mach would pull on him. this is when both of us were stock, and both of us have about the same driving ability.

oh and the mach looks way better! IMO!!

Mach Daddy

Life Is Mach1derful !!!
Established Member
ZincDude said:
On a serious note I think its a drivers race but those LS1's pull like up bitch up top.

The LS1 does pull up top and trap well but my car launches sooooooo much better. There was not enough track for them to catch me.

Since I put in my cams and did the head/valve work, mine powers through the entire track noticeably better than it did before.

Angus

Established Member
Mach Daddy said:

The LS1 does pull up top and trap well but my car launches sooooooo much better. There was not enough track for them to catch me.

Since I put in my cams and did the head/valve work, mine powers through the entire track noticeably better than it did before.

What's your most recent and/or best 1/4 mile pass to date???

Whitestallion94

Established Member
grimreefer said:
I've seen and heard the high twelves F-bod claims forever, but I've never actually seen it happen. May be possible, I guess, with a strong tailwind or if the car is "GM stock". All credible evidence I've seen and read is that both the cars are capable of very low 13's... the drivers are a different story.

The LS1 cars can infact run high 12's with the only mod being a set of sticky tires. Over on Camaroz28.com, there is a video of a 2002 SS running a 12.8 with Nitto 555s.

I'd still take the Mach 1 over the F-body though.

Silver95

Established Member
Is there any good cam options for the Mach 1's to increase their top end power? Perhaps then they would compete against the good top end of the LS1 cars.

Also, is it possible to obtain around 350whp with the mach 1's N/A, with no boring out or anything of that nature? What will a full bolt on+cam'd car put down?

Users who are viewing this thread