Ls1 Supercharged...faster than cobra?

c0bra969

Custom title.
Established Member
I was wondering if ls1 came stock with a supercharger, just like the Cobra...would it be faster?
Does the ls1 respond to a SC as good as the 4.6 modular?
I've been told that the bigger the engine doesnt mean its always going to be faster.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I think it comes down to wich has better flow(air)..And for being only 4.6's,I think the modular gets the nod in the flow deparpment...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The 5.7L of the Chebby has a higher compression ratio and that alone makes for more difficulties in adding boost. Not that it cant be done, but it is safer and easier with a lower compression engine. An S/C'd LS1 is indeed quite fast! But all in all still a Chebby ;-)

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
well, they did lower the compression on the cobra motor for the 03 to compensate for the supercharger. Im sure if LS1s were to be s/ced from the factory, they would definately lower the compression down a tad.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
either way it'd be fast.....and yeah still a chebby

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Oh,and I thought LS1's came with hypereutectics also...Or is it LT1's?.....just wonderin....

CBudweiserC

Established Member
You have to admit, LS1 cars are pretty badass. I am a loyal Ford fan but you can't deny timeslips and dyno numbers. My buddy just installed a head and cam package on his LS1 and took it to the track. It ran a 9.64 all motor in the 1000' ft. A low 12 sec quater mile car all motor. Those cars are beasts. I think those cars are better all motor and Mod motors are better with power adders.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Lingenfelter makes a kit for the LS1 Corvette using an Eaton supercharger and it is very fast. Hate to say it, but it seems pretty clear that a Camaro would be faster if supercharged from the factory. But, the Camaro is dead, a goner, etc. So, my friends, this discussion is moot.....:p

Leadhead

Melodramatic Nihilist
Established Member
I think with the exta liter of displacement, the camaro would get alot more out of the boost.

Toplesss

Established Member
I was at the local 1/8 mile track today and saw a Trans AM WS6 make 2 passes with the guys wife driving it. It had a Vortech, ET streets, Convertor, and exhaust. She ran 7.50 @ 94.6mph.

03CobraBro

Established Member
I'm sure if chevy knew what they were doing if they built an Blown LS1 they'ed deffinatly lower the comp ratio and reinforce the block/internals. Also the camaro has/had the added bonus of retaining an SRA which would deffinatly give it the upper hand in that aspect.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Although I'm going to get an 03 Cobra, I'm also an Fbody fan. Well I'm a fan of cars in general I guess, but we have an Fbody, 98 T/A to be exact, and I've had several others. The DOHC 4.6 is an amazing motor, especially considering it's comparitively small displacement, but a properly built (forged lower compression pistons) will make a lot more power. The heads flow extremely well and LS1's love boost. That said, I can't wait to get my 03 Cobra.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by CBudweiserC
You have to admit, LS1 cars are pretty badass. I am a loyal Ford fan but you can't deny timeslips and dyno numbers. My buddy just installed a head and cam package on his LS1 and took it to the track. It ran a 9.64 all motor in the 1000' ft. A low 12 sec quater mile car all motor. Those cars are beasts. I think those cars are better all motor and Mod motors are better with power adders.

What is with this 1000' track? I have heard two people refer to running the 1000'. What is the point, there is no accurate why to convert it to a quarter time or compare to anyone else for that matter. If you dont have 1320' make the track a 660', it aids in comparison.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
What is with this 1000' track? I have heard two people refer to running the 1000'. What is the point, there is no accurate why to convert it to a quarter time or compare to anyone else for that matter. If you dont have 1320' make the track a 660', it aids in comparison.

Takes the fun out of bench racing.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
It makes my large green skull ache ;-)

Not using something then suddenly using it has that effect on most things

:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread