LS1 Made Me Feel Slow

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Just got back from taking my son's 2001 SS Camaro to the gas station. Coming off a red light in 1st gear, I stabbed it from about 10 mph and that car instantly jumped, pulled, and fish-tailed a little with that LS1 motor.

I always conceded the SS had the edge, but I gotta tell ya, it was a blatant difference from down low. The SS has a SLP Air-Lid, Catback, and Custom Tune. Putting down 347 rwhp.

But for the Mustang, it is more comforatable to drive. I like the looks and driving it enough to keep it and gear it down... :)

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
The Cobra has a Magnaflow Catback, JLT RAI, & Predator Tune. I didn't stretch the legs of the SS to high speed, but personally, I wouldn't dis a good running bowtie...:coolman:

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Throw a seat of gears in your snake and say bye bye LS1:rolling: With minor mods (rai, off road x, bassani cat-back, and 4:10's) I didn't have any issue with LS1's modded like your sons. I have respect for them, but changeups in my combo will put them further behind hopefully. Only problems I encounter are spray and h/c/i cars. Just remember IRS makes these cars feel slower because they hook and don't fishtail as easily, just my observation.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
they just have wheelhop up da butt if you punch it in 1st

Yeah. We just got our first real cold "snap". tonight its in the 40's and my car feels like it has less than 20K on it.

UCBeau

my car loves the cold weather. i bet my intake temps are now below ambient because of the gigantic intercooler i have.

coreseller

Established Member
SVTRocket said:
Just got back from taking my son's 2001 SS Camaro to the gas station. Coming off a red light in 1st gear, I stabbed it from about 10 mph and that car instantly jumped, pulled, and fish-tailed a little with that LS1 motor.

I always conceded the SS had the edge, but I gotta tell ya, it was a blatant difference from down low. The SS has a SLP Air-Lid, Catback, and Custom Tune. Putting down 347 rwhp.

But for the Mustang, it is more comforatable to drive. I like the looks and driving it enough to keep it and gear it down... :)

Like it or not, the LS1's are plain faster than '99 or '01 Cobras. Mod a Cobra and you might have a chance against one. Having both, my 2 cents.

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
your problem is " behind you " :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: get a set of 4:10 or ( like me ) 4:30's and your little 4 valve will take off like a rocket :rockon:

UCBeau

VirtualSVT said:
That's what I got out of that.
ambient = air temp around you

intake temp = well...intake temp :)

generally it'll go up as you drive the car, especially if you have a supercharger..you're pushing warm(er) air into the motor. the i/c allows you to cool that air charge, resulting in cooler (more dense FTW) air flowing into your intake. my intercooler is BIG so that means there is a ton of cooling surface, resulting in very low air temps, which is good.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
personally, i think it takes much more than a set of gears to even hang with an ls1 camaro/ta. i drove one after i got my car, and it is a fast car, period! with gears a NA cobra might stay with it for a bit, but after getting up to speed it will be over without question. those things usually make a tad over 300/300 bone stock.

01_Svt venom

Established Member
Ive raced my friends 98 Ls1 with full bolt ons and a cam and from a 60mph roll i took him by about a half of car length with the mods in my sig. He still had the stock 3.42 gear. It was a very close race. I wish we would have video taped it.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
99riocobra said:
personally, i think it takes much more than a set of gears to even hang with an ls1 camaro/ta. i drove one after i got my car, and it is a fast car, period! with gears a NA cobra might stay with it for a bit, but after getting up to speed it will be over without question. those things usually make a tad over 300/300 bone stock.

Thats the deal right there. Bolt ons and gears will allow you to probably take em in the 1/4. But really, after third gear on the LS1, you're gonna have a hard time keeping that thing from over taking you.

I came real close to going with a SS back before I bought my 03 Cobra (wanted that S/Cer) because of the out of the box power. Those cars aren't unbeatable, but man, they pull NICELY.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
ambient = air temp around you

intake temp = well...intake temp :)

generally it'll go up as you drive the car, especially if you have a supercharger..you're pushing warm(er) air into the motor. the i/c allows you to cool that air charge, resulting in cooler (more dense FTW) air flowing into your intake. my intercooler is BIG so that means there is a ton of cooling surface, resulting in very low air temps, which is good.

Oh no. I know all about ambient temps. I've datalogged everything trying to get my Intake temps down during the summer.

I was just being a jackass. They need a sarcasm font.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It's easy to out run an LS1 SS or T/A, you just have to out brake them in the corners!!! :D

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Oh no. I know all about ambient temps. I've datalogged everything trying to get my Intake temps down during the summer.

I was just being a jackass. They need a sarcasm font.
[sarcasm] Fer cryin' out loud don't you know where the sarcasm font is by now?![/sarcasm]

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Didn't a famous car tuner guy once say...."there's no replacement for cubic inches"?...well, not unless you add gears, FI and spray, that is. SS vs. Cobra?...enter the Terminator.

Users who are viewing this thread