Lowering the L need some advice

2002_500HP

Banned
Hey Guys,
I used the 2.5 drop shackles in the rear and i would like to lower the front some now...any of you cut your front springs and if so how much? And did it mess up the ride alot in the front? i would just like to take about 2 to 3 inches out of the front. Just wanting to know what you guys have done and tried to see what works best. BTW i don't do any kind of towing or hauling so i don't have to worry about that.

Thanks
Chris

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Just cut one coil off of the front springs and it should put you right where you want to be. It stiffens up the ride a bit but its not harsh, IMO it made the truck ride like it should have. I think it was too soft from the factory.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
I cut one coil....Just make sure you have a big hammer to hit the side of the upper control arm housing.What I did was place jack stands on both frame rails and then place a jack under lower control arm.After you removed the shock and unbolted the sway bar pull the cotter pin out of the upper control arm.. Unscrew the nut but dont take it totally off.Then with your sledge hammer give it a good wack on the side of the upper control arm housing.After it falls out slightly,then jack it back up and remove the nut.Slowly lower the jack all the way down and out comes the spring.Just make sure you disconnect the plastic clips and the clamp that holds the brake line to the lower control arm..

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
Do they work with 18in wheels?

Yes but you have to:
1. Machine the nut down by almost half or...
2. Belltech will send you a slim nut if you fax them a proof of purchase

As much as they say these are OK to work with our trucks, they never did test them on an L. You may have to mod the part a bit but in the end its worth it. You get to retain the stock a-arm angles, ball joint angles, etc.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
BTW,I love how the truck handles with the cut coil and 2 leafs taken out...Alot lower center of gravity and a little stiffer up front.

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
I used a 4inch cut off tool.I cut half way through and then i put it in a bucket of water to cool it off.Then cut the rest of it off.The circular cut off tool cuts like butter...I am not a mechanic and was a very simple and cheap mod..

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
check my how to and you'll see how easy it is to change the springs. as far as cutting them, i would just go and buy the right springs for your application.

Users who are viewing this thread