lowering the cobra

98slowbra

Established Member
ok guys, I guess I can lower the car without buying the huge kit for $1100 which I do not have right now. I did contact stangsuspension and I get no response from them. Now can I just get lowering springs and spring Isolators to lower the cobra with the stock suspension? if so I do not know which ones to get. I drive this car maybe 2000 miles a year only. Which lowering springs would be the best for me? I do not want to lower it more then 1 1/2 inches. I have never done this before so I am looking for some good advice from you all.

sc98cbra

Established Member
All you need is springs and caster/camber plates. Get h&r sport line springs to satisfy your ride height. Just make sure you get your car realigned.

Toasty

Established Member
Ford racing B Springs are cheap and will give you 1" to 1.5" of drop.

Once you lower your car I would strongly suggest you replace your struts and shocks. Tokico HP's for a fairly cheap solution. These pretty much need to be installed with your springs.

I would also strongly recommend the Maximum Motorsports caster/Camber plates. Your alignment shop may or may not be able to get your alignment set correctly to prevent you wearing out the edges of your front tires prematurely.

Once money permits, upgrade to the 03-04 Cobra front lower control arms.

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
All you need is springs and caster/camber plates. Get h&r sport line springs to satisfy your ride height. Just make sure you get your car realigned.

The factory front struts will not last long once you lower the car. The lowering puts the stock struts out of their designed parameters. I would say springs and struts/shocks are a necessity first, with the C/C plates being possibly required.

98slowbra

Established Member
well ok now we are back up to $2100 to lower the car, well it will have to wait now for some time because I will plan on getting this kit which is not cheap. MM Starter Box - For 94-98 and 99-04 GT Mustangs - StangSuspension.com and I am guessing around $1000 for install, so back to square one again. I do not even know if it will really be worth it now, just not sure with this economy.

sc98cbra

Established Member
Not to be rude. I don't understand where you get 2100$? Springs: 300, CC plates- 200$, and shocks-300$ at most?

Check out Americanmuscle.com for good prices. Call them up and they will gladly give you a 10% discount code.

98slowbra

Established Member
I get this from the kit, which costs $1100 from stangsuspension and around $1000 for the install of this kit, that is where I am getting the $2100.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
you dont absolutely need new shocks and struts right away. I put 10,000 mi on my 96 gt with a 2" drop and cc plates and they were just fine. It will help but you dont absolutely have to have them. I also have a prokit on the cobra and stock shocks and struts. Do I wish I had new shocks and stuts? Yes, but my ride quality is just fine without them. Especially as little as I drive the car. As for springs Id go with Eiback Prokit or H&R sports. Both are about 1.5". So CC plates $200 and springs $230 and your'e set. You dont even need new isolators unless you just really want to.

Last edited:

sc98cbra

Established Member
My cobra is my DD. I drive it 30 miles a day. Did my suspension back in June. All I got was springs, and cc plates with alignment. Stock shocks. Only problem I have is there is an annoying clicking noise on the front pass side when I go over a speed bump or start bouncing at low speeds.

Sh!tstang

Established Member
I get this from the kit, which costs $1100 from stangsuspension and around $1000 for the install of this kit, that is where I am getting the $2100.

Just get the springs for now. As for caster/chamber plates you can drill out two pins that holds them and it will let you move them. When I bought my springs I couldn't afford caster/chamber plates, so when I had my alignment done by one of the Sears guys, he did it for me. My buddy had it done three years ago and never had problem algning it.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
My cobra is my DD. I drive it 30 miles a day. Did my suspension back in June. All I got was springs, and cc plates with alignment. Stock shocks. Only problem I have is there is an annoying clicking noise on the front pass side when I go over a speed bump or start bouncing at low speeds.

Mine did that after I lowered mine on my 96. I used eibach sportlines and upr CC plates (huge pieces of crap IMO). I changed to MM's 4 bolt CC plates and the noise went away. I dont know the cause of the pop though.

98slowbra

Established Member
that is ok, I will just forget it now and leave it factory, seems like to much of a pain in the A$$ to do this. I do not work on cars that is why I asked you all, but there are so many different stories on which way I can go, I do not know which one to choose. So be it, she will stay stock with no lowering.

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
H&R SS Springs from American Muscle are like $250. put them on yourself and get it aligned ($60 at most) and your car wont look like your ready to take it offroad.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
H&R SS Springs from American Muscle are like $250. put them on yourself and get it aligned ($60 at most) and your car wont look like your ready to take it offroad.

seriously, Springs are the first thing i do to my mustangs. Im almost embarrased to drive a mustang at stock height, they sit rediculously high. You need to do this asap. Some can get by withough CC plates with only a 1.5" drop.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
There are a few people selling springs in the market... might be a good place to look and save some money while your at it..

98slowbra

Established Member
seriously, Springs are the first thing i do to my mustangs. Im almost embarrased to drive a mustang at stock height, they sit rediculously high. You need to do this asap. Some can get by withough CC plates with only a 1.5" drop.

ok people say I need bushings, cc plates, springs, shocks, struts, the stock suspension will not handle the new springs, and the list goes on and on. Shit after all this, I will have spend over $3000 just for looks, no way she will stay factory then, dont forget upper control arms and lower control arms. The list just gets bigger and bigger and the cost goes up and up.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
IMO, you can buy the shocks/struts somewhere down the road. You don't need them right away, especially with only a 1" - 1 1/2" drop.
My last stang was lowered for 3 years without ever needing shocks/struts.
My current car was lowered 3+ years before I ever installed them. The only reason I even installed my new shocks/struts was because I got them for a huge discount, and I was going to be in there anyway cuz I was installing new Lowering springs. I ended up going about a 1/2" lower.
I definitely fealt the difference after I installed all the new stuff, but I installed the springs at the same time, so who knows.

But don't feel like you need to buy new shocks/struts right NOW, cuz you don't

If you DO want to buy evrything all at once (shocks/struts/springs), there's kits made my Tokico on Ebay.

This kit uses the Illumina shocks and sells for about $750
eBay Motors: TOKICO ILLUMINA SHOCKS & SPRINGS MUSTANG 99 00 01 to 04 (item 400023470019 end time Jan-20-09 12:39:44 PST)

But this kit sells for $471 with free shipping and uses the Tokico Blues (I love my Blues)
eBay Motors: TOKICO 4 HP SHOCKS & SPRINGS FORD MUSTANG 94 95 to 98 (item 400023107482 end time Jan-18-09 17:36:01 PST)

98slowbra

Established Member
IMO, you can buy the shocks/struts somewhere down the road. You don't need them right away, especially with only a 1" - 1 1/2" drop.
My last stang was lowered for 3 years without ever needing shocks/struts.
My current car was lowered 3+ years before I ever installed them. The only reason I even installed my new shocks/struts was because I got them for a huge discount, and I was going to be in there anyway cuz I was installing new Lowering springs. I ended up going about a 1/2" lower.
I definitely fealt the difference after I installed all the new stuff, but I installed the springs at the same time, so who knows.

But don't feel like you need to buy new shocks/struts right NOW, cuz you don't

If you DO want to buy evrything all at once (shocks/struts/springs), there's kits made my Tokico on Ebay.

This kit uses the Illumina shocks and sells for about $750
eBay Motors: TOKICO ILLUMINA SHOCKS & SPRINGS MUSTANG 99 00 01 to 04 (item 400023470019 end time Jan-20-09 12:39:44 PST)

But this kit sells for $471 with free shipping and uses the Tokico Blues (I love my Blues)
eBay Motors: TOKICO 4 HP SHOCKS & SPRINGS FORD MUSTANG 94 95 to 98 (item 400023107482 end time Jan-18-09 17:36:01 PST)

Thanks bud but there is no way in hell i will use ebay, I got rolled over once and that is enough for me.

Smoked SVT

Established Member
ok people say I need bushings, cc plates, springs, shocks, struts, the stock suspension will not handle the new springs, and the list goes on and on. Shit after all this I will have spend over $3000 just for looks, no way she will stay the factory then, dont forget upper control arms and lower control arms. The list just gets bigger and bigger and the cost goes up and up.

Alot of the time when people ask the question about suspension people will give you the expensive answer because its the most desireable thing to do but not necessarly the best for your situation. If you are going for strictly asthetics then springs are the only mod you will need to do. Im speaking from experience not hearsay. Ive had an 06 gt with steeda springs (1.5" drop) and no CC plates, a 96 gt (2" drop) and MM cc plates, and a 97 cobra with eibachs (1.5" drop) and no CC plates. I have zero issues out of them and all have had the stock shocks and struts. Upper control arms are not necessary unless you are doing some serious drag racing and lowers are good if you are doing alot of playing around and have some decent power. When my cobra had the stock suspension the axle moved so much during burnouts or hard shifts that the pumpkin was hitting the floor pan and the tire would actually move outside the fender well. I then added uppers and lowers and it fixed the problem. These are not necessities just nice to have if you are making the power and beating on your car and have the money. Bottom line from personal experience and three mustangs you only will need springs if you are going for looks and use your car for a weekend toy/commuter.

Last edited:

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
I agree with Smoked SVT. all that stuff you can build up as you go. The first thing i do to my stangs are springs and a short throw. ive had 4 so far and never had a problem throwing just springs on it.

Users who are viewing this thread