Lowering Springs

Cobraboy325

Established Member
Hey guys I have a 01 cobra vert and wanted to drop it about and inch and a half. Any thoughts. I heard 03 springs will work but what will the drop be and will they work with a vert. also what else should I do at the same time as springs?
Cobraboy

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
03 springs are not going to get anywhere close to an inch and a half drop. You are looking at like 3/4", tops. IMO, I would change out at least your shocks and struts at the same time.

01SVT_TruBLu

BreBar21 said:
03 springs are not going to get anywhere close to an inch and a half drop. You are looking at like 3/4", tops. IMO, I would change out at least your shocks and struts at the same time.

I just went through this whole exercise. I completely agree with BreBar21. I have a 01 cobra convertible and installed the 03 cobra springs and shocks. it lower the car approximately 3/4 inches. The car still had the unwanted gap so i purchased Kenny Brown lowering springs. Car sits and handle amazing.

As a rule of thumb, if you lower your car more than 1 inch you need Caster\Camber plates....it is necessary for alignment.

Also BUY NEW SHOCKS that are made for lowering such as Bilstein. I have a set of bilsteins that came with the 03 set up but they are not good enough. I need to upgrade them ASAP due to the fact that they are too soft and bouncy. I bottomed out 2x already... I don't want to bottom out anymore.

If you are going to lower your car...do it once and do it right. Be ready to spend around a Grand. You will not regret it.

I have pics but need to download them from the camera...

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
I have the H&R SS springs on my 99 vert. The look is great, but I didn't buy aftermarket shocks, and I scrape on A LOT of things. The drop is about 1.7" all around (without isolators). New shocks and isolators would definitely do you good. The alignment on my car is very good without CC plates. They are optional but a must if you drop over 2".

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
AzianStang said:
I have the H&R SS springs on my 99 vert. The look is great, but I didn't buy aftermarket shocks, and I scrape on A LOT of things. The drop is about 1.7" all around (without isolators). New shocks and isolators would definitely do you good. The alignment on my car is very good without CC plates. They are optional but a must if you drop over 2".
I have the same springs but they have been sitting in my garage since July, I think I may wait and buy 00' R shocks or 03' shocks before i put mine on.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
You will love the springs, Jeb. The ride height looks great. You're going the better route by getting different shocks prior to install.

:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread