Lowering springs with minimal bounce

V8Flexin

Established Member
Looking at getting a set of lowering springs mainly the steeda convertible set. But i've been in lowered cars and the excessive bouncing would drive me crazy as a daily. But the off road truck stance stock is really bothering me at this point. Wondering how much bounce over stock do you get from any lowering springs sets for GT500's?

mikes35

Established Member
I bought the Steeda lowering springs for my 2008 vert. Haven't installed yet. If no one responds I'll let you know in a few days how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V8Flexin

Established Member
OK thanks. I've been wanting to install that set on mine but I'm trying to get the pricey part's out the way first.

shelbysnake11

Established Member
I have the eibach pro kit just sitting there waiting to be put on. I have a couple of other suspension mods I want to complete at the same time. But from what I have read on these the ride is good.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The dampers do have a role in it but I plan on using a set of adjustable dampers and would like go back and forth between comfort and autocross performance.

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Have you ever had adjustable before?

In my experience they don't go from Cadillac to Race car.

The adjustment is there to dial in the optimize setting for your spring, tire, car and weight. Once optimized you leave it alone.

I've never noticed a significant change in "harshness" with the adjustments.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The dampers do have a role in it but I plan on using a set of adjustable dampers and would like go back and forth between comfort and autocross performance.
This may be true on double adjustable set-ups that are valved for that purpose. Single adjustable shocks and struts are usually only adjustable for rebound. It's the compression adjustment that impacts ride quality more so than rebound.

As to springs, there are two variables. When you mention bounce, I can't make the distinction if it's ride harshness or uncontrolled bouncing of the suspension you're referring to. Lowering any vehicle reduces suspension travel. In order to keep a vehicle from bottoming out, higher spring rates are used which typically translates to a harsher ride. Typically the lower the ride height, the stiffer the springs. Do some homework regarding spring rates and you will make a better decision. Your car is 10 years old now, so upgrading shocks and struts should be in the cards. If you're just looking to just lower the rear, H&R offers rear springs suited for that purpose.

Also check out your bump stop clearance when ever you lower the rear. If there's not much clearance between the frame and the top of the bump stop, you're likely riding on your bump stops and ride quality will be crap.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Have you ever had adjustable before?

In my experience they don't go from Cadillac to Race car.

The adjustment is there to dial in the optimize setting for your spring, tire, car and weight. Once optimized you leave it alone.

I've never noticed a significant change in "harshness" with the adjustments.

I disagree. My experience with Eibach's coilover was this, the front shocks had 6 clicks. On the softest setting the ride was comfortable but bouncy. 3 clicks the ride was harsh on the street. 2 clicks was perfect, comfortable yet firm and no bounce.
I've gone to 4 clicks briefly, but it was too harsh for the street.

But then again, this is a coilover setup, so maybe its different on regular adjustable struts.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I disagree. My experience with Eibach's coilover was this, the front shocks had 6 clicks. On the softest setting the ride was comfortable but bouncy. 3 clicks the ride was harsh on the street. 2 clicks was perfect, comfortable yet firm and no bounce.
I've gone to 4 clicks briefly, but it was too harsh for the street.

But then again, this is a coilover setup, so maybe its different on regular adjustable struts.

So 2 clicks was the optimum setting?

On someone else's car that may have been 3 or 4.

Your car is not necessarily faster at 6 clicks.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
So 2 clicks was the optimum setting?

On someone else's car that may have been 3 or 4.

Your car is not necessarily faster at 6 clicks.

On the street yes, the aim was comfort.
When I go the track I'm sure the optimum setting will change because the goal is performance.

The point is the adjustment does impact ride quality.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Probably the one reason I have not lowered mine. I never track it and do not plan on dragging it so I would only be doing it for looks. AND the one thing I do not want is it riding like a tank.

V8Flexin

Established Member
It's hard to compare lowering springs as most company's don't publish their effective spring rates. I've only found maximum motorsport and BMR state their spring rate. I had to personally email steeda for their spring rate for the specific springs I was looking into. I believe steeda's springs sit between BMR's handling and performance springs in effective spring rate. Maximum has the most aggressive springs with a drop down to the ground pretty much. I think sway bars provide the most improvement in cornering performance tho.

Users who are viewing this thread