Lowering Springs with Headers?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Hey guys.
My Shelby is lowered on FRPP springs. It doesn't bottom out. My Terminator is lowered on H&R springs, no headers & it hits the fr crossmember on things. I have to crawl over known bad spots to try to keep it from rubbing underneath.
My Mach is stock suspension, but has Kooks longtubes. I want to lower it to get rid of the 4x4 look but don't want to tear up my headers. Any thoughts from guys with lowering springs & headers? Do the headers hit or the fr crossmember? Help appreciated!

boss_pc2

Established Member
I have h&r ss springs and bbk headers. My left one catches sometimes but I just drive it like a lowered truck lol

MachJoe

Established Member
I can tell you in a week or so. My Mach is lowered on Eibach sports and I just ordered ARH. As of now, I haven't bottomed out on anything yet, but I do have all isolators in.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
My Mach has bassani midlengths, offroad x .. lowered on sportlines with no isos in front and both in rear. zero scraping and my driveway is steep and the entrance to work is as well.

However, my GT had MAC Longtubes, eibach pro kit with no isos and 70,000 mile shocks and struts and it scraped TERRIBLY. I'll never do it again. If my shocks/struts were good, I'd have been okay. You should be too.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Thanks for the quick response guys, the Mach has 19,000 miles so the shocks & struts shouldn't be weak. I hadn't factored that in, good point.
When I get home I'll get under the car & see what's riding the lowest. On the Terminator it's just rubbing the crossmember which isn't really killing anything, but the sound it makes has me wanting to scratch my eyes out! Lol

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
No problem. I've got tokico blue struts on the front and stock on the rear. The Tokico's are excellent! Car has 27k on it and no problems.

Also, have you thought about grinding down the crossmember a bit where it's rubbing, on the cobra?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
No problem. I've got tokico blue struts on the front and stock on the rear. The Tokico's are excellent! Car has 27k on it and no problems.

Also, have you thought about grinding down the crossmember a bit where it's rubbing, on the cobra?

I've thought about that. I need to get it on a lift & see what's taking place. It's pretty low in the nose. Looks cool but dang!
I've actually got a short section of gravel road to get to my house. Yeah I'll get flamed for that one! :bash: But if it's graded good, no problem. But even @ 5 mph, one rock the size of a golf ball I can't maneuver around & it scrapes. In town, no problems. I just won't try speed bumps.
I want the Mach lowered, in a bad way. I'll check & see how low the headers are in relation to the crossmember & go from there. They look so much better lowered, plus the nose gets a little flighty @ speed. Lowering might make it feel more stable. I hope...

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
Mine felt good at 120 but that was about all the faster I wanted to go.

By the way your Shelby looks stellar! :coolman:

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Mine felt good at 120 but that was about all the faster I wanted to go.

By the way your Shelby looks stellar! :coolman:

I've only had mine about 15 mph more than that, briefly, & the front feel changes pretty quick, that's fast enough for me.
Thanks for the compliment on the Shelby! Search The Painted Shelby. Shows some pics of the destruction. I wasn't happy with the factory paint so it all came off!
The same guy did the Mach a few years ago. Just took off the factory clear, smoothed out the factory paint, painted the stripes & put 11 coats of quality clear. It's like black glass. :beer:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Im dropped 2" up front with Mac LTs, 50% of speed bumps are doable, 50% are not... I usually scrape the mid pipe, very rarely the headers. I know each brand is different, but unless you drop it serious I think you will be alright.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
2007, that's good to know. 2" is a pretty good drop. I've got Kooks LT's, I forget which x-pipe. In a couple days when I get time I'll put it up on a lift & see how the headers sit in relation to the crossmember & the x-pipe.
No more than I drive the car I can just avoid speed bumps if that's the only issue.
I bet your ride sounds bad w/ the cams! I'm kicking the idea around. The ones I've heard are incredible.

Last edited:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
2007, that's good to know. 2" is a pretty good drop. I've got Kooks LT's, I forget which x-pipe. In a couple days when I get time I'll put it up on a lift & see how the headers sit in relation to the crossmember & the x-pipe.
No more than I drive the car I can just avoid speed bumps if that's the only issue.
I bet your ride sounds bad w/ the cams! I'm kicking the idea around. The ones I've heard are incredible.

Im very happy. Im on a set of custom grinds set up for stock valve springs Lots of power at any rpm. :) I want to put a 4.10 in it, should be able to go 11s on everything stock just rear seat delete and the gear.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Smart move being able to use the stock springs. Does it have the fast lope idle sound? I've heard it on 4.6's, 5.4's & 5.8's. Its addictive. Will be a future mod for me in time.

4v_mach1

Established Member
I think I'm about 1.8" drop in the front, 1.8" drop in the rear & the only problem I have is the cats on the mac h-pipe scrape on certain driveways depending on how I enter.. and the front lip, but this depends If I enter a driveway sideways which never scrapes or If I forget & enter straight..that's when it scrapes.

Last edited:

O3dsg

Established Member
Lowered about 1.8" in the Front with ARH longtubes and 3" x pipe. The headers clear the x-pipe tends to rub on some stuff here and there. Your Kooks sit a little lower than the ARHs but I think if you are careful you should be ok.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I have Kooks LT's with a catted Kooks X pipe, lowered on Steeda springs (blue) with D-Specs. I rub no more than when I had stock manifolds and a Bassani X pipe. Most of my rubbing is on the X pipe when it does happen.

Users who are viewing this thread