Lowering springs-opinions' needed

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Hey guys my 93 Cobra with 86k is sitting low in the right rear so I think it is time to replace the stock springs. I'm looking at the Steeda sports, Eibach and H&R springs. Who has run them and what did ya think? My car is just a street cruiser so nothing too stiff is needed. Some opinions and hopefully some pics would be great.:-D

Thanks

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
H&Rs for sure. My black 93 Cobra had them along w/ Bilsteins and man did its ride smooth. Best fox I have been in!
H&R has 5 different rates for fox bodies. Be carefull which one you get as there are a few that slam the front end into the weeds and it rides like crap.

9 deuce gt

Established Member
I agree with the H&R recommendation. With Bilstein's, the ride is great. That is with Race springs. But this is with MM coilovers in the front.

Have you considered a switch to coilovers all around? The ride quality is adjustable (with a spring swap) to your liking as well as ride height.

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I've been thinking about coilovers also, I was thinking about the UPR kit with coilovers, A-arms and K-member for around $700. But I'm unsure about their quality and I know they have stolen other peoples designs etc. I now Max.Motorsports is quality stuff but more expensive. And I'm not sure about buying a whole rearend kit right now. I'm stuck on what to do and how much money the Wife will let me spend right now.
You guys know where to get some of this stuff at a good price?
Any opinions are appreciated.:D

9 deuce gt

Established Member
Okay, now we are getting somewhere. You have stated that you are not ready for a rear end kit. Knowing that, you need to stick with a conventional spring. But before you can pick a spring, you should really focus on the shocks and struts. This is a major contributor to ride quality. What type of driving do you do? You mentioned this is just a cruiser, so my recommendation would be Bilstein. You will be amazed at the ride quality when you match these shocks to the right spring. I used an H&R Race spring in the rear, (recommended by MM) and the ride quality was great.

Up front I think you should really consider a coilover setup. I have no experience with UPR, but just looking at the MM kit will show the quality MM offers. Just don't forget, that with any coilover kit, you need a caster camber plate that can handle the weight of the front end. Not all caster camber plates are created equal!!

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Thanks for the help Duece and the rest of you guys. Now I have to come up with a plan to wrangle some money away from the wife.

Almost forgot, where is some good places to buy this stuff and get a good deal? American Muscle on this site gives you promo codes for a discount for being a member on here. Is it a good discount?

9 deuce gt

Established Member
I have never bought from them. I always buy directly from MM. The price is a little higher, but I always call for recommendations. Thier customer service is great.

red95gts

Established Member
Anyone have any pictures of a 93 Cobra with the H&R Sports (51650) or Super Sports (51650.77)?

I'm curious how much they drop the car and how level it ends up.

Thanks!

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
I found some H&R race springs (Rear only) from Maximum Motorsports, they were in the sale items section that were test fitted and just the rear springs only for 99 bucks. Later on I'll get the coilovers in the front and go from there. I'll update what I think of them when I get them on. BTW I'm using the stock rear shocks for now.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Anyone have any pictures of a 93 Cobra with the H&R Sports (51650) or Super Sports (51650.77)?

I'm curious how much they drop the car and how level it ends up.

Thanks!

Here are some of mine with H & R Super Sports. I love these springs, I road race on occasion and they are great and I still manage 1.58 - 1.60 60fts at the track. Ride is taunt but not bad. The first shots were shortly after I bought it and the previous owner had GT front rotors with the wrong offset so the front wheels sat in a little bit. I have since put the Baer 93 Cobra specific 13" upgrade:

Cobraslammedside-1.jpg

Cobraslammedrear2.jpg

Dressed in drag:

Challengepic-2.jpg

DSC_3472.jpg

KC/COBRA

Fear The Cornholio
Established Member
Ya thanks Ben! Looks great! I'll get mine installed next weekend with my stock shocks and see how it goes. I'm eventually gonna get some coilovers from M.M. when I can sneek some money away from the wife.
btw hows the mag. coming along? I need to subscribe to it soon.

Last edited:

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Ya thanks Ben! Looks great! I'll get mine installed next weekend with my stock shocks and see how it goes. I'm eventually gonna get some coilovers from M.M. when I can sneek some money away from the wife.
btw hows the mag. coming along? I need to subscribe to it soon.

I am running Tokico Illumina Adjustables all the way round and they are just awesome. The ride is tight but not ubnoxious, I also always have them on all the way firm as I just like a tight ride.

The magazine is going amazing thanks! We are up to 68 pages now and have over 10,000 copies going out for each issue :banana:

Check out our latest cover and you click here to subscribe!

covermgi3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread