Lowering Springs---car rides like ass???

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
To those that have lowered the car with springs only, what do you think of the ride? I put in some Kenny Brown Springs awhile back and hate the ride. Its not that it is too harsh, but the car just feels under dampened and floaty over bumps. This is especially apparent at speed. I also bottom out often when hitting bumps or dips at speed. Traction also seams to have gotten worse. The car seams to skip over anything less than perfect pavement. I am still on the stock Bilsteins with about 35k miles. Only other suspension mods are Wolfe through-the-floor subframe connectors and Kenny Brown rear strut tower brace. I am running Falken Azenis RT-615 tires with plenty of tread. Trying to figure out a good solution without spending a ton of money on a coilover setup. A different strut? Cobra R struts maybe? I am really beginning to hate driving the car. Also, what would happen if the rear springs were installed upside down? Had one of my employees throw them on for me and haven't really looked since. I don't remember them being marked as to which side was top/bottom.

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
As i was reading this I was wondering if they might be upside down. But I don't know how tht would affect the ride. I'd imagine something would be off though. Hope you get it fixed. Sounds like it sucks. How long has it been this way??

Coiled03

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
do you know what spring rate they gave you? sounds like firmer struts/shocks are in order.

I don't think you get a choice in spring rates if you buy Kenny Brown's, do you? Regardless, it does sound like firmer struts/shocks are in order, probably because the old ones are shot.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Oh Three i have Eibach's and the same problem... ive dealt with it for some time now.... but yes mines feels like uder shit too... Shelb what shocks and struts do you recommend?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I was under the impression that the Kenny Brown springs only came in 1 spring rate and were linear. The fronts are definitely on right, just not sure about the rears as there was no markings or anything. Any way to tell? And yes I'm pretty sure I need a strut with more dampening. Just not sure what to get. I'm more of a road race than drag guy, but want something that works well for everything.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Tokico Dspec

Koni DA yellows

The KB Springs are about 750/front and 800-something in the rear. I've always heard that they rode great; but considering how much stiffer they are over the stock coupe springs, they certainly need a better shock.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hmm, ok; well then if you can go for it with the yellow Koni DA's you'll have it made.

I've never heard anything terrible abot Tokico; BUT I do have a set of Illuma 5ways on my Fox...they're just "ok"; not as good as everyone raved about.

ViciousJay

Established Member
im gonna try the rear adjustable QA1's to see if rear bumpiness goes away... mainly mine problem feels like its in the rear... the front i think just needs an alignment thats all otherwise the front im fine with.. maybe ill get a strut toer bar for removing a little body roll

Last edited:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
When tested on a shock dyno, a set of 4 brand new tokicos were way off. They had to be set on different settings in order to get the same stiffness. I've never liked the ride quality of them anyway but they are decent for the budget minded.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
ViciousJay said:
im gonna try the rear adjustable QA1's to see if rear bumpiness goes away... mainly mine problem feels like its in the rear... the front i think just needs an alignment thats all otherwise the front im fine with.. maybe ill get a strut town bar for removing a little body roll

I wouldn't mix stuts/shocks. Best to have the same kind on all 4 corners.

ViciousJay

Established Member
ehhhh see my problem is only in the rear... so do these cars have struts and shocks? or just shocks.. i never bothered to look... im always too busy fixing something to else... what ever it is will get replaced with adjustables for the rear

jcobra

Established Member
Kenny Brown springs ride like stock ones do, I cut mine a few weeks ago and it still rides good.
76090006sw3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jcobra

Established Member
All the way around. Rears were cut 1/2 coil, and the fronts were cut 3 times to get it right. I believe we cut about 1/8 each time. Heres a better shot to see how it sits.
91020010rd4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread