Lowering question follow up (shocks /struts)

Spiney

Established Member
I really want to lower my 96 SVT Cobra because of the 4x4 look and I want better handling.

Coil overs are out of the question, I'm not putting that much into it.

As far as springs probably going with Eibach Pro Kit. I've read that Eibach and Ford Racing are the same springs. FRP are generally cheaper. So which FRP are the same as Eibach Pro?

Any feedback good or bad on Vogtland Springs?

My mechanic who I trust and is an SCCA racer told me today you pay a premium just for the Eibach name.

Now Struts and Shocks. Leaning towards Bilsteins. Looking for experienced opinions on others ie: Koni, Tokico, KYB, ? My car has 46K on it. Is it necessary to change the shocks and struts with the springs at that many miles?

I'm not against it, I want to do it right.

My Goal is to drop no more than 1.5". To keep the slight rake I have. To have better handling without it becoming a very harsh ride.

My wife who drives the car a lot is against me lowering it. She's afraid I will "ruin" the car. Didn't get much help from the local Mustang Club meetup tonight. The consensus was 50/50 on do it, don't lower it. But the don'ts were very vocal and convinced her more that its a bad idea. They said its unnecessary and will cause it to bottom out. But they were mostly rocking 19" wheels without the 4x4 look.

I have 17" real factory Cobra R wheels with I think 245/45/17 tires. Replacing the wheels and tires is not an option. The gap is just ridiculous and I want tighter handling.

Help me out here guys and gals. Thanks, Dave

1hot281

Established Member
H&R super sport springs are the way to go for a street driven car. Great stance and good ride quality.

As for shocks & struts, you can get a set of Koni single adjustables for a decent price. Under $600, which is very competitive with Bilstein prices.

If I couldn't get Koni or Bilstein for some reason, I would possibly use Tokico, if it is their D-Spec model, and if I were getting them at an insane discount. You couldn't pay me to put KYB anything on any vehicle.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
With the Eibach's you won't bottom out. I have Eibach's and I never bottom out - and I even cut half a coil off the front springs. Unless your exhaust hangs extremely low? I don't live far from you so I know the roads you would drive on and you will be fine. And my wife has never complained about the ride quality.

I don't have experience with the H&R, but I believe they drop the car 1.75 inches compared to the Eibach 1.5. I think the H&R would look better, but can't comment on the ride quality. Also, get the Bilsteins or Koni shocks. I put Tokico on my car and they straight up suck. This winter going to swap them out with Bilsteins.

mustang3X

Established Member
Don't lower it, it will bottom out?? that's what you call "I don't know what I'm talking about"

I use H&R SS springs, Koni Str.t Fox body front struts, Koni Str.t SN95 rear shocks. The car rides better than stock, dropped about 2 inches, and never bottoms out. Had Eibachs on my last cobra and it rode like crap.

The isolators are still in but I am going to remove the top iso in the front as the rake isn't enough.

I also have J&M CC plates and J&M race rear lower controls arms. With this set up I was able to remove the quad shocks.

Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about when it comes to lowering the car. The 4x4 look is stupid, with the proper parts the car will be lower and ride better.

C0BRA_C0MMANDER

Established Member
Don't lower it, it will bottom out?? that's what you call "I don't know what I'm talking about"

I use H&R SS springs, Koni Str.t Fox body front struts, Koni Str.t SN95 rear shocks. The car rides better than stock, dropped about 2 inches, and never bottoms out. Had Eibachs on my last cobra and it rode like crap.

The isolators are still in but I am going to remove the top iso in the front as the rake isn't enough.

I also have J&M CC plates and J&M race rear lower controls arms. With this set up I was able to remove the quad shocks.

Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about when it comes to lowering the car. The 4x4 look is stupid, with the proper parts the car will be lower and ride better.

Speaking the truth here. H&R SS are the way to go.

GT500DB

Established Member
I just changed from Eibach to H&R Sport springs and Bilstein HD shocks and struts with MM caster camber plates and MM LCAs. The car handles much tighter now. Huge difference in ride quality over the Eibach (and yes I know the Bilsteins had a lot to do with that). Very happy with my suspension. Going to add front and rear sway bars and a MM steering shaft next and then I will be done with the suspension mods.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
H&R SS, bilsteins, any decent 4 bolt CC plate, bumpsteer kit, and decent LCA with poly chassis/rod axle end design.

the other brands are just fine. many agree that bilstein is the best strut/shock for the application. spend the money if you can afford it, its worth every penny.

vogtland's catalog only lists springs for s197 mustangs. the import crowd seems to like them.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
H&R SS, bilsteins, any decent 4 bolt CC plate, bumpsteer kit, and decent LCA with poly chassis/rod axle end design.

I would add 2X ball joints to that and you would be set

Shoeman 1

Established Member
H&R SS's with Bilstein all the way around, M&M plates with poly ISO's. Much better ride than the previous Eibach Pro-Kit that was on it. Do it all at once you'll save time & money that way. Look for low mileage front 03-04cobra front struts, I found a set with 19k on them for cheap & they look brand new.

Spiney

Established Member
On my way. I picked up a pair of low mileage Bilstein HD Rear Shocks today at the Fun Ford Weekend Show in Reading. Got a deal, $80 for the pair. They are grooved for coil overs if I want to go that way too.

The same guy had 2 complete sets of used Eibach Pro Kit Springs for $120 but they looked harder used. And I didn't feel comfortable with them. From all the advice I got here, and other forums I may be going with H&R springs anyway.

So now I need to find good used Bilstein Struts or bite the bullet and buy a new pair.

Where is the best places to look for used Bilstein Struts?

Are 4 bolt CC plates a necessity or are 3 bolt sufficient?

Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Shoeman 1

Established Member
I found my front struts on this form and you'll see some on the other site as well. It will take a while to locate a set, American Muscle will run sales plus you'll get a form discount. Don't waste your time and money on 3 bolt cc plates plus you'll screw up your strut towers as well with those.

Rosco

Established Member
How harsh is your guys ride that are lowered about 2" ? I have Bilstein hd's with 03 cobra springs up front with a coil cut. The rear has bbk springs cut and I think they are what are causing the harsh ride. Did lca help alot? My ride was no where near as harsh with bbk springs all the way around with crap/terrible kybs. The bbks also lowered from stock tide height about 1.5". Now I'm a little more than 2" lowered I want to say.

mustang3X

Established Member
How harsh is your guys ride that are lowered about 2" ? I have Bilstein hd's with 03 cobra springs up front with a coil cut. The rear has bbk springs cut and I think they are what are causing the harsh ride. Did lca help alot? My ride was no where near as harsh with bbk springs all the way around with crap/terrible kybs. The bbks also lowered from stock tide height about 1.5". Now I'm a little more than 2" lowered I want to say.

No harshness here. It is stiffer than stock but you don't get beat up even over rough pavement.

Last edited:

KCRN12

Established Member
I ha H&R super sports on my car before I did the coil overs and I loved them. The ride was obviously more harsh than factory, but not bad at all for a lowered car. Especially for a 1.75" drop. You definitely need to replace the shocks and struts, though. You'll need a more sufficient damper for the higher spring rates. The factory ones won't cut it. I have bilstein HDs on my car now and they're an excellent option.

Rosco

Established Member
I have Bilstein hd's installed. I think I need new rear springs. Does anyone know of a more complient spring, or spring that has a longer length with softer rating that still allows a good drop.

I ha H&R super sports on my car before I did the coil overs and I loved them. The ride was obviously more harsh than factory, but not bad at all for a lowered car. Especially for a 1.75" drop. You definitely need to replace the shocks and struts, though. You'll need a more sufficient damper for the higher spring rates. The factory ones won't cut it. I have bilstein HDs on my car now and they're an excellent option.

Spiney

Established Member
I found my front struts on this form and you'll see some on the other site as well. It will take a while to locate a set, American Muscle will run sales plus you'll get a form discount. Don't waste your time and money on 3 bolt cc plates plus you'll screw up your strut towers as well with those.

Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt you, I just want to increase my knowledge. Why will 3 bolt CC plates ruin my strut tower?

KCRN12

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt you, I just want to increase my knowledge. Why will 3 bolt CC plates ruin my strut tower?

The only thing I can think of is that one corner will be unsupported which could lead to a warped strut tower. I'm not entirely sure I agree, though, cause the strut towers are pretty stout. I suppose it's possible, though.

Rosco

Established Member
Don't mean to hijack, but can someone tell me how much wheel gap do you have with h&r SS springs in the rear with or without isos.

Users who are viewing this thread