Lowering my car. Shock/Strut question: Bilstein vs Koni Yellows?

Spiney

Established Member
Ok I've been gathering parts to lower my 96 SVT Cobra. Per forum feedback I bought H&R Sport Springs, MM caster camber plates, I picked up a great set of low mile Bilstein rear shocks. But I've been having a problem finding Bilstein Struts with lower miles. I will also be adding Subframe connectors and probably rear LCA'S.

I just found autoeverything.com has Koni Yellow adjustable struts for my car on sale for $149 each. Would they be a good Strut to go with the H&R springs? Looking for better handling without too stiff a ride. The feedback I was getting was go with Bilsteins. If I go with the Koni Yellows do I need to sell my Bilstein rear shocks and buy Koni yellow shocks? Or can I mix front & rear?

So tapping the knowledge base once again. I'm itching to get this thing lowered before winter, so I can enjoy it still. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Last edited:

gq916

Established Member
i would go with Bilsteins...maybe you should look into getting coilovers with bilstein shocks in the front..makes a huge difference in the ride and handling

i had a buddy who went from koni to bilstein and loved the bilsteins

Cobranator

Established Member
Go with Koni....I installed a set of Yellow single adjustable on my car last year and it made a world of difference. Rides better and I don't get that bottoming out thump of the pinion snuber hitting the pumpkin in the rear anymore as I used to. I've got my car lowered 1.5 inches.

mustang3X

Established Member
I have koni str.t shocks and struts, they are real good. The cost was less than $300 new.

Yes, bilstein are better but I didn't want to spend that kind of money for shocks and struts on a car that gets driven 300 miles per year.

You can have mix the shocks and struts, unlikely you'll notice on a street driven car. I couldn't do just because it would drive me nuts knowing the colors are different, haha.

mackj66

Established Member
Love my Koni Yellows!
If you are gonna spend that kind of money on shocks and struts, you may as well get some adjustability with them.
Plus...lifetime warranty. :)

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Koni yellows HANDS DOWN. They have won numerous SCCA Solo (Autocross) national championships. They were on the 2012 mustang GT that won F-Stock this year. I run them on my ESP mustang, my 98 cobra and 2013 mustang GT. They outperform bilsteins in every aspect. I have run both.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Bilstein does have one thing over the Koni's, they are much easier to find someone to revalve. Koni's need to go back to Koni. Shops that specialize in revalving shocks/struts can do Bilstein.

Users who are viewing this thread