Lowered with Steeda Springs

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
After putting the springs in, is there anything else I should install in order to avoid having suspension parts wear out? i.e. shocks, caster camber, etc.

Thanks.

chitowncobra

Established Member
hey i know this does not pertain to your question but my question to you is how does it look now verus before? im thinking about lowering mine with steeda lowering springs. and a answer to your question is the performance shop where i am going to get this done told me along with springs i need caster camber plates. i am also doing urethane IRS bushing and full subframe connectors.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by chitowncobra
hey i know this does not pertain to your question but my question to you is how does it look now verus before? im thinking about lowering mine with steeda lowering springs. and a answer to your question is the performance shop where i am going to get this done told me along with springs i need caster camber plates. i am also doing urethane IRS bushing and full subframe connectors.

The springs aren't in yet. But the car already has caster camber plates, bushings, and subframe connectors.

frdmstnggt

Mine: Audi, Yours: Innie
Established Member
I have Steeda Competition Springs on my 99 GT. I also put on their 4-bolt Caster/Camber plates, Bump Steer Kit (Tie-Rod Ends), and X2 Ball Joints. Always good to have I guess. Car is as straight and aligned as the day I bought her. Would recommend new shcoks for lowered vehicles though.....

kpinco

Established Member
I have the Steeda springs. It is a big difference from the stock as far as looks and handling. I think you will be happy. I did the KB castor plates, Steeda diff bushings, MM IRS bushings, MM subs and Steeda's heavy duty sway bar.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by frdmstnggt
I have Steeda Competition Springs on my 99 GT. I also put on their 4-bolt Caster/Camber plates, Bump Steer Kit (Tie-Rod Ends), and X2 Ball Joints. Always good to have I guess. Car is as straight and aligned as the day I bought her. Would recommend new shcoks for lowered vehicles though.....

New shocks for front and back? What might be some consequences if you didn't put in new shocks?

Poison_S

Established Member
Steeda vs H&R

attachment.php

To reduce the factory-present 1" rake the car has back to front, I installed Steeda springs on the front and H&Rs on the rear.

The H&R springs dropped the car 1.75" in the rear compared to the steeda springs that dropped the car only 1" in the rear.

Initially, I did the steedas only and the front dropped 1.25" with the rear dropping only the as-mentioned 1". This increased the rake present, giving the car an unbalanced stance, which aestetically did not appeal to me.

Here is a picture showing the rear end of the car with both types of springs. At this point, the car looks perfect, my opinion of course.

Final Numbers:
Front: 26.125" fender to ground
Rear: 26.5" fender to ground.

konakimo

Established Member
poison, I had the steedas put on one month ago and left the rear lower rubbers out because of the raked look, it did help but I may get the H&Rs for the back if it does not settle anymore, I have the afs 18s also what size tires are you running, thanks

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
you should be fine with just springs, but some people like to get CC plates also. With the steeda springs you don't 'need' new shocks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by TRDNiteLife
What are the advantage of coilovers?
They are night and day superior to adding lowering springs. We had a lengthly thread last year about this. At that time I was pro-lowering springs. A friend of mind then installed coil-overs on his '03 Cobra. I got a quick education. To start, the coil-overs are more expensive. But you will get superior handling and ride over lowering springs. And an important advantage is that you can adjust the ride height, whereas with springs you take what the manufacturer gives you. I had Eibach lowering springs on my Callaway Camaro (I believe they were the Sport set) and the ride as noticeably stiffer, but not so bad it was a nuisense. Handling was much better. With the coil-overs you will get even better overall handing without sacrificing ride quality. Do a search for more comments and info. After researching both, I would personally never do lowering springs unless my funds were restricted. Coil-overs are superior, plain and simple. Ask anyone who has had both. Hope this helps. Not telling you that you'll make a mistake with the lowering springs. Just some advice to think about it before you make your final decision.
:)

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
They are night and day superior to adding lowering springs. We had a lengthly thread last year about this. At that time I was pro-lowering springs. A friend of mind then installed coil-overs on his '03 Cobra. I got a quick education. To start, the coil-overs are more expensive. But you will get superior handling and ride over lowering springs. And an important advantage is that you can adjust the ride height, whereas with springs you take what the manufacturer gives you. I had Eibach lowering springs on my Callaway Camaro (I believe they were the Sport set) and the ride as noticeably stiffer, but not so bad it was a nuisense. Handling was much better. With the coil-overs you will get even better overall handing without sacrificing ride quality. Do a search for more comments and info. After researching both, I would personally never do lowering springs unless my funds were restricted. Coil-overs are superior, plain and simple. Ask anyone who has had both. Hope this helps. Not telling you that you'll make a mistake with the lowering springs. Just some advice to think about it before you make your final decision.
:)

Thanks CobraBob.

Poison_S

Established Member
konakimo,

For the AFS wheels, I am running 265/35/18 up front and 295/35/18 out back.

For the Saleen wheels, I am running 265/35/18 up front and 275/35/18 out back.

konakimo

Established Member
Thanks, Ive been looking at the new nittos 305/35/18, but knowone seems to have them in stock around here also thinking about 295/35/18 but nitto does not carry that size, may just buy adifferant brand, thanks again.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: Steeda vs H&R

Originally posted by Poison_S
attachment.php

To reduce the factory-present 1" rake the car has back to front, I installed Steeda springs on the front and H&Rs on the rear.

The H&R springs dropped the car 1.75" in the rear compared to the steeda springs that dropped the car only 1" in the rear.

Initially, I did the steedas only and the front dropped 1.25" with the rear dropping only the as-mentioned 1". This increased the rake present, giving the car an unbalanced stance, which aestetically did not appeal to me.

Here is a picture showing the rear end of the car with both types of springs. At this point, the car looks perfect, my opinion of course.

Final Numbers:
Front: 26.125" fender to ground
Rear: 26.5" fender to ground.
The rear does look perfect. Much nicer looking than stock. How is the handling now? Can you feel the difference in corners? Does it right much stiffer?

Users who are viewing this thread