Lowered Mach 1's

Tlayson23

Established Member
Alright guys, so here within the next month I will be cutting the springs on my 03 Mach and can't decide how much to cut. I've already done my research and looked through all the threads about spring cutting but most of them are for Cobra's. Since the mach's suspension setup is so much different it's hard to go by how much someone cut on their cobra. First of all, here's a pic of how the car sits now:

mymach16.jpg

(Not a very good pic but factory suspension you get the idea...)

Anyways, I'd like to see some other mach's with cut springs, and tell how much you cut front and rear.

I'd rather this didn't become a discussion on why it's not good to cut your springs because i've done my research and have already decided to go this route. Oh and if any of the guys with actual lowering springs wanna throw in some pics feel free, i'd like to see them as well :beer:

MachThis04

MachThis04
Established Member
I cut the spring's on my wife's GT because I had coil overs in the front of my car so I put the lowering springs from my car onto her's and cut her rear springs. I think I cut a coil and a 1/4.

4valvemach

Established Member
I cut mine about a year ago wish I had done this mod when I got it back in 2006.I cut ONE FULL COIL or a O on the front and the rear and used the stock ISO's again.The ride is almost the same,little more stiff in the rear but that could be my old/blown shocks :shrug:.Took it into work and checked the alignment and it was still good.I dont have caster/camber plates and dont really need them.I could get almost four fingers between the top of the tire and bottom of the fender before.After the cut springs I got about two finger between the tire and fender.

One coil would be about a 1 1/2 inch drop for FREE(if you do it)

The biggest change was taking corners at higher speeds :banana:

I have no pics:nonono:

Last edited:

Tlayson23

Established Member
yea i'm thinking of maybe doing 3/4 coil rear and a full coil in the front and leaving isolators in. My only issue is my longtube headers and x-pipe scraping.

I've narrowed it down to:
3/4 rear, 1 coil front
3/4 all around
1/2 front, 3/4 rear

I'd love to slam it and just go for looks but it's my daily driver, so i'm trying to find a nice stance somewhere between looks and functionality.

buckinwild

Established Member
I wouldn't go much lower, yours looks like its already lower than mine not sure whats up with mine though it even sets a little higher in front than back. I'm about to fix that soon. I cut 3/4 coil off my 02 gt back when I had it, that took it down not quite an inch lower.

Tlayson23

Established Member
I wouldn't go much lower, yours looks like its already lower than mine not sure whats up with mine though it even sets a little higher in front than back. I'm about to fix that soon. I cut 3/4 coil off my 02 gt back when I had it, that took it down not quite an inch lower.

Mine probably sits lower in the front than yours because it has a 03/04 cobra motor which has an iron block and eaton supercharger. That's an extra 160 pounds on the front end so that might make a little difference.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I want to say 3/4 coil is about 1''. Havent cut mine but im not sure if i will now, running 28'' M/T now and they fill the fender well :-D

Tlayson23

Established Member
Alright, what do you guys think about 1 coil front, 3/4 coil rear, and leave the iso's in. Would i need caster camber plates on the front?

clc44

Established Member
I posted a thread here with pics. Just search cut springs. I cut 1 full coil. It is slammed!!! I kinda wish I would have only done 3/4 a coil. I measured and the front was 1.75" lower and the rear was 1.3" lower.

Since you have more weight in the front, I would cut 1/2 in the front and 3/4 in the rear. I went to the local car wash the other day and scrapped on the metal that pushed the cars through.

I'm thinking of going with Vogtland or H&R's. Ride is similar but the rear feels like the shocks bottom out when I hit hard bumps.

Hope this helps!

Tlayson23

Established Member
I posted a thread here with pics. Just search cut springs. I cut 1 full coil. It is slammed!!! I kinda wish I would have only done 3/4 a coil. I measured and the front was 1.75" lower and the rear was 1.3" lower.

Since you have more weight in the front, I would cut 1/2 in the front and 3/4 in the rear. I went to the local car wash the other day and scrapped on the metal that pushed the cars through.

I'm thinking of going with Vogtland or H&R's. Ride is similar but the rear feels like the shocks bottom out when I hit hard bumps.

Hope this helps!

That helps a lottt... i think im gonna go 3/4 all around because i want it to sit a little lower in the front anyways. I saw your thread a few weeks ago and havent been able to find it since but i'm gonna do some more searching. Thanks alot for the help

Tlayson23

Established Member
i just found the thread... its slammed but it looks perfect, i wish i could drop mine that much without having to worry about scraping the x-pipe and longtubes. i'll probably be going 3/4" all around and leaving the iso's in.

Tlayson23

Established Member
Eibach springs :thumbsup:

machparked.jpg

30886_523934893848_73701049_3087814.jpg

older pic with my saleens on it...
mach1.jpg

That stance is perfect i wish i could go that low but i cant. these kentucky backroads arent so great haha. not to mention i want to keep the soft ride that i have now, my 01 gt had h&r ss springs and looked great but was pretty rough.

clc44

Established Member
^ which Eibachs and how do they ride?

I left my ISO's in, in my second post on this thread I left the link for my cut springs thread. It says Cutting Springs :)

I think 3/4 a coil would be good. Probably give you 1.3-1.5" Front and 1" Rear. Let us know how it turns out.

Tlayson23

Established Member
^ which Eibachs and how do they ride?

I left my ISO's in, in my second post on this thread I left the link for my cut springs thread. It says Cutting Springs :)

I think 3/4 a coil would be good. Probably give you 1.3-1.5" Front and 1" Rear. Let us know how it turns out.

Alright thanks, hopefully i'll be able to get to it sometime next week if i do i'll be posting pics

Users who are viewing this thread