Lowered L

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
Hey I just got my lightning and a can't stand the hot rod rake. Has anyone lowered their L? If so how much and what kit? Also, if you have can post pictures???

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
ah yes the how low can you go ?
yeah most of us have done it , i know crazy4ink also has an 03 so if you do a search on his name and look for the nost recent thread he has started you should see his truck

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
the thread was called "for lightning larry"
search crazy4ink in the 2nd gen page and on the second page of the search it is at the bottom
i would link it but i dont know how

KCinAZ

Established Member
Here's a pic of my buddy Jeff's 03 Sonic Blue... Somewhere between a 2/3 and a 3/4 drop. It handles great, the ride is a little bit harsher but definately not out of line. He posted the entire parts list on our site for the drop, you can see that CLICK HERE

jeff12.jpg

jeff9.jpg

Hope that helps!

(Id post pics of my 03, but it still looks like a 4x4!)

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Casey your friend has one sweet truck :thumbsup: but so do you :D

black02svt

im confused with that post. what exactly did you use, not what can you use, but what setup is on the blue l and how much was it. also, how much lower does the rousch kit go? i like the stance of your truck Im just trying to find out what all you used and how much it cost. thanks for any info...

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
hey larry did just the control arms drop the front 2 inches

i looked on there site and they sell the 2/4 kit but use the springs in the kit not the control arms
its like 550 for the kit but if i can peice it together for less money i will seeing as i already have the shackles and just need rear hangers

p.s. do i have to change all the shocks by going this low?? cause they sell them in the kit and wasnt sure

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
The shocks should be good, but check them really close to make sure they aren't going to bottom out if you were to hit a bump.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by lightninmike
hey larry did just the control arms drop the front 2 inches

i looked on there site and they sell the 2/4 kit but use the springs in the kit not the control arms
its like 550 for the kit but if i can peice it together for less money i will seeing as i already have the shackles and just need rear hangers

p.s. do i have to change all the shocks by going this low?? cause they sell them in the kit and wasnt sure

I like the dropped control arms because you can run a longer spring. More travel and better ride. Yes the control arms drop it 2 inches. I also put in 1 in. shorter Hotchkis springs. For a 3in drop. It rides and handles great. :beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
thanks again larry:thumbsup:
oh yeah does anyone know if i have to c-notch for a 4 inch drop in the rear
i would rather not have to

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by lightninmike
thanks again larry:thumbsup:
oh yeah does anyone know if i have to c-notch for a 4 inch drop in the rear
i would rather not have to

Mike , you can get away without it. But there is very little travel. I notched mine. The stories that it isn't strong is total BS. My c notch is bolted and welded in place. Very very strong. And it doesn't bottom out anymore. :beer:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
SGTHWY --> I dropped mine myself in my driveway. Took my about an hour to install the front springs and about 2 to do the rear shackles (beer break in the middle) If you can drive up my way before wednesday, I'll help anyway I can. Leaving thrusday morning to go home before going to Korea.

SGTHWY

Established Member
Crazy4ink, I appreciate the offer and would take you up on it but this week is o.t week for me.(need to pay for all these things). How long you going to be gone? You will still be able to hit the threads from over there won't you? Good luck..stay safe...keep in touch.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
It's a year tour in Korea. 10 July 03 to 10 Jul 04. Yippie....can't you hear my excitement?? Hopefully, yes, I will still be able to get on the site from there. Don't know yet. Thanks for the well wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread