Lowered Car - Rear Sway bar hitting LCA on Drivers Side

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Wondered why I've been hearing some clanging from the rear since I lowered (Steeda Springs) my 08. Think I found the culprit. The Sway bar appears to be resting on the LCA!! Is this normal on a lowered car?

Here's a pic. of the drivers side. passenger side has some clearance. Can't imagine my setup is unique (adjustable pan hard bar is the only only other suspension mod), so a bit stumped as to why I have this issue?

I don't want to go back to the stock coil springs...

upload_2020-9-28_21-40-41.png

HKusp

Established Member
Mine rubs on my relocation brackets and squeaks a lot. I just bought a Whiteline anti-roll bar to eliminate the factory rear sway bar.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is there a spacer on the sway bar mount? Would adjusting the panhard bar help at all? I don't know how different they are, but we had Eibach springs with BMR relocation brackets and LCA's in our 06 GT and nothing was close to hitting.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Mine rubs on my relocation brackets and squeaks a lot. I just bought a Whiteline anti-roll bar to eliminate the factory rear sway bar.

Sounds like this might not be uncommon. No squeaks for me....just the odd "clang" when I go over a bigger bump. I'll have to check out the Whiteline product to see if it might help. If the Sway bar was removed, I'd be noise free.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Is there a spacer on the sway bar mount? Would adjusting the panhard bar help at all? I don't know how different they are, but we had Eibach springs with BMR relocation brackets and LCA's in our 06 GT and nothing was close to hitting.

Thanks, not sure about a spacer being in place. Had the car into the alignment shop after I lowered the car and the tech made a comment about it and basically said it goes with the territory/can't do anything about it.....so have to assume my adjustable pan hard bar either can't help....or can't help without throwing off the rear geometry?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You're the first I've heard about having this issue. I'm not an S197 guru by any means, but I've been around them a while. So I wouldn't say you have to live with it. Is the rear currently centered under the car?

HKusp

Established Member
The Whiteline unit eliminates the outer portion of the sway bar altogether. It mounts, via U-clamp brackets, to the rear axle and then to the mount points where the stock rear sway bar end links mount to the body. There is nothing outside of the end link mounting location. That being said, I agree that there most likely is a rear end geometry issue with your set-up that should be tweaked first, and that probably will fix your issue if your car isn't twisted.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
You're the first I've heard about having this issue. I'm not an S197 guru by any means, but I've been around them a while. So I wouldn't say you have to live with it. Is the rear currently centered under the car?

Taking her into a shop to get it checked out. Far as I can tell things are centered.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
What's the clearance look like on the other side? I think you just need to move the bar over and make sure the end link attachment points don't need some tweaking to keep it more centered.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
What's the clearance look like on the other side? I think you just need to move the bar over and make sure the end link attachment points don't need some tweaking to keep it more centered.

It's pretty tight, but I think there is some room to shift it over. Here's a pic. of the passenger side.

upload_2020-9-29_11-47-19.png

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's not as much clearance as what I was thinking. Is that the factory bar or aftermarket? BMR has a bar that fits between the brackets for the LCA, but it works with their drop down brackets. I had so much interference with my factory bar and the watts link that I went with BMR's bar out back. I was having similar issue to what you're experiencing when I had CHE drop down brackets, but I swapped those out the BMR brackets.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
That's not as much clearance as what I was thinking. Is that the factory bar or aftermarket? BMR has a bar that fits between the brackets for the LCA, but it works with their drop down brackets. I had so much interference with my factory bar and the watts link that I went with BMR's bar out back. I was having similar issue to what you're experiencing when I had CHE drop down brackets, but I swapped those out the BMR brackets.

Yah, not sure if its the factory bar or aftermarket. Looks like I'm going to have to look at some alternative setup similar to yourself to get rid of the periodic annoying noise it makes over some bumps. Looks like my lowering springs are going to cost me a few more bucks...in other mods! Oh the joy of modding our cars. LOL!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Here's a pic. of the drivers side. passenger side has some clearance. Can't imagine my setup is unique (adjustable pan hard bar is the only only other suspension mod), so a bit stumped as to why I have this issue?

I don't want to go back to the stock coil springs...

View attachment 1664662
That plate that is located at the sway bar to frame attachment bracket looks like a part of a rear sway bar relocation kit which is often utilized when one elects to run 15" rear rims. I run 15" Drag Stars with slicks for track use and have installed the relocation kit on my 07'. My rear sway bar has minimal clearance from the LCA brackets on both sides and although I've loosened the sway bar brackets and centered the bar itself, the sway bar can laterally shift in the rubber bracket grommets and will return to resting against the LCA brackets.

I have not had issues with clanging. That actually sounds like something else in your rear suspension. My issue is increased NVH with the metal on metal contact. I cut some rubber and placed them at this juncture at both ends of the sway bar. Helped a bit. I can take a picture tonight when I get home if you like.

To be transparent, the rear sway bar relocation kit states in the instructions that there could be clearance issues with the LCA bracket.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
That plate that is located at the sway bar to frame attachment bracket looks like a part of a rear sway bar relocation kit which is often utilized when one elects to run 15" rear rims. I run 15" Drag Stars with slicks for track use and have installed the relocation kit on my 07'. My rear sway bar has minimal clearance from the LCA brackets on both sides and although I've loosened the sway bar brackets and centered the bar itself, the sway bar can laterally shift in the rubber bracket grommets and will return to resting against the LCA brackets.

I have not had issues with clanging. That actually sounds like something else in your rear suspension. My issue is increased NVH with the metal on metal contact. I cut some rubber and placed them at this juncture at both ends of the sway bar. Helped a bit. I can take a picture tonight when I get home if you like.

To be transparent, the rear sway bar relocation kit states in the instructions that there could be clearance issues with the LCA bracket.

Thank you for chiming in. Great observation. I do believe the previous owner did put some smaller drag tires on the car and took it down the dragstrip a few times. If you're able to take some pics. of what you've done to help with the metal on metal contact, that would be great!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That plate that is located at the sway bar to frame attachment bracket looks like a part of a rear sway bar relocation kit which is often utilized when one elects to run 15" rear rims.
Yep, that's exactly what's going on. Here are instructions for a relocation bracket that might give you a better idea on what was done to move end bushings. You might be missing a few parts to put it back in the stock location.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Yep, that's exactly what's going on. Here are instructions for a relocation bracket that might give you a better idea on what was done to move end bushings. You might be missing a few parts to put it back in the stock location.

Thanks for that. I have a friend with a stock 08 that is going to come by. I'll have a look at his setup. Don't know what I'd do without this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread