Lower pulley?

acobra03

Established Member
BigDan, was it you that mentioned there might be a link between overdrive lowers and oil pump failures? How would they be related?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
BigDan, was it you that mentioned there might be a link between overdrive lowers and oil pump failures? How would they be related?

I don't see how an overdrive lower could put additional stress on the oil pump, as they are lighter than the 2008 OEM crank pulley...and a lot lighter than the 2007 OEM crank pulley that did have issues at higher rpm and higher boost.

BigDan

Established Member

Yes that was me.

It was actually my tuner recommended that I keep my factory lower since he has never had to rebuild a mod motor due to oil pump failure with factory lower still on it. Every single oil pump failure that has come through his shop had aftermarket balancer.

I would love to be able to spend $500 on a lower and enjoy the extra power but after talking to him I changed my mind and I'm going a different route. You can contact Shaun at AED at Contact Us | Advanced Engine Development - AED

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't see the correlation between oil pump failure and a lower unless the lower is installed improperly. If it's not seated properly or balanced properly, the harmonics and vibrations of the rotating assembly could cause problems in the oil pump (which is driven directly off the crank), but if its installed correctly, I just don't see how it would cause a problem. It doesn't cause anything behind it to spin any faster or slower and it shouldn't induce any increased harmonics or vibrations if its installed correctly.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
It's all in the harmonics. The gears are brittle powdered metal and are very sensitive to increased vibrations due to decreased dampening. The modular engine family are internally balanced but the flywheel and Harmonic dampener("balancer") play an important role in controlling harmonics/vibrations in the torsional rotation of the crank shaft. This is why a high quality harmonic dampener is a must! As it also needs to be installed correctly also. Upgrading to billet oil pump gears adds robustness to them but come at a cost to a slight loss in pumping effeincy due to not being able to be produced to as tight of tolerances as the powdered metal gears.

Users who are viewing this thread