Lower pulley removal

sweet10th

Established Member
Helpppppp !

Im trying to remove my lower pulley and right now im stuck.
Does the bolt in the middle come out alone or does it spin out with the pulley too.
Is it reverse threads ?....that would mean clockwise to remove right ?
Which would mean pull the breaker bar up toward the passenger side.

How do i stop the the crank from turning while trying to undue this ?

Established Member
I had to put my car into 5th gear to keep the lower from moving. Also remember it is reverse threaded. You MUST need a 3-4 foot breaker bar and most likely another persons help to remove the lower. It is a PITA. Good luck

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The bolt is part of the entire lower pulley assembly. I took mine off from the top and pushed from to passenger side to drivers side if that helps, (clockwise...). Like above, I had mine in 5th gear and had my daughter push down on the brake pedal. When it popped, it sounded like a gunshot.........

Dana has some good tips for the entire process.

Edited for mistaken direction!!!!! Sorry!!

Last edited:

sweet10th

Established Member
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....so now im really confused !

I got told that this was a reverse thread bolt which would mean clockwise to undue , right ?
Right now i have the car on jackstands on my garage floor and im trying to use a 1/2 drive ratchet with a 2 foot long breaker bar (i cant get the car any higher to use a longer one).
I cannot move the bolt....im trying to loosen it by pulling the breaker bar toward the passenger side....if u can imagine the breaker bar being pointed down at the ground im pulling toward pass side...which is clockwise.

The small hexagon shape tool i got with the lower pulley is now useless , its cracking and ready to snap.

????????????????????help????????????????????

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The ratchet will break before the bolt does.
You have to use something a lot longer than that and a 2 foot bar.

You are trying to move it the correct way. It is a left handed thread. You have to turn it clockwise to remove it.

Get a better driver to fit into the nut, maybe from a tool supplier like SnapOn or something.

It will come off, everyone has the exact same problem you are having.

Dana

tickingcobra

Banned
Don't try to wedge anything in there to stop the crank from turning either it's supposed to turn, I mention that cause I know someone that did that (ME, stupid) ....It will break free just keep going at it..

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Don't do it from below, do it from above. That way you can use a much longer breaker bar (hold the hood up out of the way). I used a regular 1/2" drive bar with a 4' long piece of 1" dia pipe over the top of it. (Use a Craftsman bar so you can return it to Sears for a new one if it breaks)

04RedfireCobra

Established Member
I saw someone else post this method and it worked like a charm for me:

I had the front of the car up on Rhino ramps, so I didn't have much space to work with. I put the ratchet and 3' breaker on the bolt, then I positioned it so it was right above my floor jack. I then used the floor jack to push the breaker bar up (clockwise), this with the car in 5th gear. It actually started to bend the breaker bar but eventually loosened.

That sucker is tight, but I was able to get it off without breaking a sweat, and without help (good thing because it was at about 2:00am). Can't remember who's idea it was but it was a lifesaver for me.

sweet10th

Established Member
Cool , ok so now im getting some better ideas , thanks to all that responded.
Do i have to remove anything from the car to be able to get the bolt out from the top , i just looked and it looks like its pretty tight for space.

Thanks once again guys.

p.s.
Would one of those sockets with a 1/2 drive and 14mm allen key in the end work ?

03RedCobra

Established Member
Okay,so here is the next question I have..............What kind of Torque spec do you use to get the bolt back on ??

Seems like you have to break a lot of torque to get it off.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
No, the old bolt assy is tossed. You get a large crank bolt to keep everything tight. Just remember the loctite for the pulley mounting bolts.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
What is the advantage of changing the lower pulley over the upper pulley? Does anyone combo a 6 lb lower with a 2.80 blower pulley? I'm confused.......if the lower is so hard to do why bother with it? just change the upper ?

tickingcobra

Banned
cobraCMDR said:
What is the advantage of changing the lower pulley over the upper pulley? Does anyone combo a 6 lb lower with a 2.80 blower pulley? I'm confused.......if the lower is so hard to do why bother with it? just change the upper ?

Yes I have the 2.8 upper, and a 6lb lower...I'm making 485 rwhp and 530 rwtq

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
where can you get these lower pulleys and how much do they cost? I'm pretty sure a predator handheld probably cannot compensate for both these mods correct? tickingcobra what other mods do you have to make these numbers?

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Metco makes the lower pulley assy, do a search. The Predator out of the box won't give you a good tune with upper and lower pulleys, but James @ RWTD or any other tuning shop with a dyno can tune it for you, or send you a custom tune via E-mail.

Users who are viewing this thread