Lower pulley question?

Cameron57

Established Member
I've noticed some of you are killing the cranks that have certain lower pulleys. What is causing this? I've noticed alot of you are going to a double keyed CJ crank. Are these pulleys over spinning the crank at a certain hp or what? The reason I am asking is because mine is sitting in a box not on my car yet and if the lowers have to do with killing the crank I'm a bit unsure about putting it on.

Thanks,
Cameron

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I believe it's due to too much torque on the single keyway all at once. From what I understand it's not a huge failure rate but it's got me turned off as well. My understanding is the safer option of turning up the boost is a bigger blower.

bull3441

Established Member
a second keyway really isn't gonna matter as the IW is a press on balancer. Also @ PRI IW said their balancer should should taken off and inspected every year and serviced. i'm no expert but this is also what IW said at the time i called them and ordered.

DaFreak

Established Member
a second keyway really isn't gonna matter as the IW is a press on balancer. Also @ PRI IW said their balancer should should taken off and inspected every year and serviced. i'm no expert but this is also what IW said at the time i called them and ordered.

Bull, any idea what's involved with the servicing? I've been running the IW 10% for 2 years and never touched it.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Bull, any idea what's involved with the servicing? I've been running the IW 10% for 2 years and never touched it.

You'd have to send it back to IW for this. I believe the cost is like $85 bucks. They suggest this if you've done internal work or have shocked the crank, i.e. broken rod, etc. ;-)

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Interesting, when mine was sent bak for repair IW never mentioned future service.

bull3441

Established Member
well my thought is the balancer is really designed for race applications. the exact quote was "the balancer should be serviced at the end of every season." like i said i'm no expert but i had questions, so i called. the tech at the shop i use spent time talking to IW @ PRI asking questions about it as well and got the same answer, but in more detail.

bull3441

Established Member
i'm not sure how often the clutch packs in the balancer need service on a street car. race car they said every season. i think i will be going back to the stock damper on the new motor.

Cameron57

Established Member
What is brand is everyone running that that's had the issue and do they have the upper on it or different supercharger?!?

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I am running a IW 10% lower. My car makes 600rwhp and is driven hard. It sees the track 2times a month and I drive it hard on the street. I power shift and leave off a 2 step at the track. I have left as high as 5200 on the 2 step and I have had no issues. I did a quick search for crank failures and didn't find many failures. Yes some but not many. From what I gathered it seems like the guys with failures either installed them and with in a week or 2 after install had a failure or they over rev'd the engines or it bounced of the rev limiter. Most failures seemed to happen in the earlyer years of the gt500. I think people forget these engines are not good with rev's over 6500 and with a supercharged car it really puts a lot of stress on the crank seeing the rev limiter at such a high rpm. I would think if you have common sense and keep your rev limiter set at or bellow 6500rpms and stay off of it you shouldn't have any issues. Also be sure its installed properly. I'm not worried about mine. Crank failures can be caused by many things. The most common imo are over revving, hitting the rev limiter over and over and improper installation. Its very easy to put the blame on the lower crank pulley and not the user.

Last edited:

bull3441

Established Member
I am running a IW 10% lower. My car makes 600rwhp and is driven hard. It sees the track 2times a month and I drive it hard on the street. I power shift and leave off a 2 step at the track. I have left as high as 5200 on the 2 step and I have had no issues. I did a quick search for crank failures and didn't find many failures. Yes some but not many. From what I gathered it seems like the guys with failures either installed them and with in a week or 2 after install had a failure or they over rev'd the engines or it bounced of the rev limiter. Most failures seemed to happen in the earlyer years of the gt500. I think people forget these engines are not good with rev's over 6500 and with a supercharged car it really puts a lot of stress on the crank seeing the rev limiter at such a high rpm. I would think if you have common sense and keep your rev limiter set at or bellow 6500rpms and stay off of it you shouldn't have any issues. Also be sure its installed properly. I'm not worried about mine. Crank failures can be caused by many things. The most common imo are over revving, hitting the rev limiter over and over and improper installation. Its very easy to put the blame on the lower crank pulley and not the user.
you have a stronger crank than 07-10 cars. yours is very similar to the CJ crank and 07-09 is the Lightning crank. the few failures i've read about were at the track and not roll racing. but don't limit your search to our cars. Lightnings and 03-04 Cobra's had them as well. i'm not bashing this pulley at all, as i have one. a double key way crank is the usual rule of thumb on SC cars. the Super CJ has is double keyed. how ever if you look at members mod list on this or other forums, there's prob 7/10 cars with the IW and 1/2 dozen crank failures reported.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Its very easy to put the blame on the lower crank pulley and not the user.

Quoted for truth.

Even those who had the crank failure didn't blame it directly on the OD pulley. They always said it was quite possibly their driving habits, over revving, and hitting the rev limiter.

bull3441

Established Member
Quoted for truth.

Even those who had the crank failure didn't blame it directly on the OD pulley. They always said it was quite possibly their driving habits, over revving, and hitting the rev limiter.
Amsoil would prevent the crank failure....... :poke:

Cameron57

Established Member
Lol amsoilis legit... But mine is a 2007 I'm sure I'll put it on this winter. So if you over rev these cars it's very hard on them. Like miss a shift or what?

Users who are viewing this thread