lower intake Hose

Ukfox89

Established Member
I have had my other cars with the lower intake hose plugged off.......when running slightly higher boost than normal (18-20psi) is it recommended to keep that hose to the back of the intake?
its plugged currently, but cant decide whether to leave it alone, or run the hose to the back of the blower.

Thanks ben

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I think he's talking about the pcv valve house on the bottom of the lower intake manifold. If you have deleted your entire pcv system and running breathers on both valve covers like many do without issues leave it alone and be happy.

cj428mach

Established Member
I replaced mine with braided AN line, as my old SB car had the hose burst when in boost. Rubber tends to degrade from the oil and heat, so put something better on if you decide to replace it.

Ukfox89

Established Member
correct that lower hose that extends under the intake. I have breather son both valve covers and don't plan to change that. I ran my Kennebell car with brsthers and had that hose hooked up just routed straight into the back of the blower.

I have it blocked right now, but wasn't sure if running more boost than stock people leave it hooked up. im assuming its to help escape built up pressure in the intake after WOT and quickly going shut throttle. just don't want to mess something up and have to take this intake apart yet again.

Thanks Ben

SVT_Troy

Established Member
you can google the functions of the PCV system for a full breakdown but basically it reroutes vapors from the crankcase back to the intake for re-burning so as to not put "toxic vapors" into the atmosphere reducing blowzy emissions. The downside is the vapors carry oil that ends up collecting in the lower intake manifold and intercooler. This is why people delete the pcv system and go to the two filter system.

The downside to two filter is the oil vapors still carries oil which still will get past the filters and it can make a bit of a mess and smell a little. Some experience more of a mess & smell than others. Iv'e run filters and it isn't that bad for me.

Another option if you wanted to maintain the pcv system without having the oil collect in the lower intake manifold is to run oil catch cans. You need to read up a little because there are a few does/donts to setting up a efficient oil catch can setup. If you start reading up a bit people will mention "un metered air" and filters allow this which is somewhat BS. Filters on both sides are ok, leaving the pcv system installed and putting on a filter only on one side will/may allow unmetered air into the system and cause running and idling issues.

And I'm done,

Troy

Ukfox89

Established Member
yer, that's how my blue car was when I got it. one side was a breather and the other valve cover was routed into the crank case. I can plumb everything individually (valve covers and Lower intake). but I just want to make sure before I through the intake back on I get this hose the right way around. I was going to leave it off and have it pluged, but surely if you plug it you get a more consistent manifold pressure becayse your not trying to vent it back out. wsnt sure if people had experienced blown intake gaskets leaving this hose off, or issues with idling or throttle response. my white car didn't but was relatively low boost.

Thanks Ben

Users who are viewing this thread