lower engine noise

1svtcobra

Established Member
I have noticed a knock in the morning that goes away when the car warms up. It sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the engine. I have 1400 miles on the car now. It seems to be fine though been kind of hard on it lately to see if it would change or just break. A source that is to remain anonymous told me that it is piston slap and is within specs. What the hell is piston slap?

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Piston slap is the piston slapping the cylinder wall. When the engine warms up, the piston expands to better "fit" the cylinder bore and the slapping ceases. I would not worry about it. It seems quite common.

i8u

Established Member
Piston slap is normal for our motors.. I have it.....As did my 98.

:beer:

1svtcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reply`s. I feel better knowing I am not the only one and it is a normal thing. Just wanted a few more opinions.

MineralG03

Established Member
Piston Slap

Not to worry!!! had the same knock on my '98 Cobra, went away after warmup, also had the "tick" on the '98.

2003 Mineral Gray

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
are you serious? How can that be normal? I don't think piston slap is something to just let go.

i8u

Established Member
Believe me it is normal. It has to do with the length of the stroke compared to the bore.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread