Lower crank pulley wobble

lee4him

Established Member
Is it typical for the lower crank pulley to wobble at idle? I just got this motor running late last week and noticed it wobbling and squealing a little at idle. Once I give it a little fuel, it seems to straighten up and run normal. Any ideas?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Is it stock or aftermarket?

Mine was having a HORRIBLE wobble but I was able to tighten the snot out of the allen bolts holding it on and it went away.

cobra2003toy

Established Member
pulley

My factory one was bent a bit on the lip. I noticed that the belt would try to run off. If your car was hit on the front, yours might be in the same shape.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
The factory Crank pulley has rubber bushings in it. If it's wobbling then those bushings are probably shot. I would call Steve at Tousley Ford and see how much a new factory pulley cage is. You might be able to replace the rubber bushings but I am not sure if anyone has had success with this yet.

lee4him

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. I might just forgo the stock replacement and get the Metco setup. Just sucks it had to go like this. Oh well.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
You want to stay with the stock pulley cage if possible. It provides support to the crank. There have been examples were the snout on the crank have broken. If this occurs you going to do severe damage to your engine.

antiv6

Established Member
my stock crank pulley started to wobble at like 10k miles and was replaced under warranty, never had any issues since. You can look at this as a time to upgrade or pick up a cheap used lower.

lee4him

Established Member
Upgrade it will be. (My dear wife is going to kill me though). I've been upgrading since I bought the motor and car 2 months ago :)

Users who are viewing this thread