Lower control arm bushings

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I have those bushings and didn't see anything about having to change the springs.

indycobra

Established Member
I just changed my UCA and LCA bushings also. You will be removing and reinstalling the springs but buying new ones is not necessary.

wjfawb0

Established Member
How much of a pain is it to install those suckers?

I did the IRS bushings, so I can probably handle the UCA/LCA install. An alignment is probably required afterwards too, right?

-Jason

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by wjfawb0
How much of a pain is it to install those suckers?

I did the IRS bushings, so I can probably handle the UCA/LCA install. An alignment is probably required afterwards too, right?

-Jason

Alignment is a must. The lowers were much harder than the uppers.

indycobra

Established Member
yes you will want to do an alignment after you install bushings. It is no cake walk but if you did the irs bushings you should be able to handle it. I had to burn the LCA bushings out. Literally catch them on fire for awhile and then hammer them out. Kinda scary. DO NOT try to press them out. I tried this on an arbor press and ended up pressing one of the inner sleeves out. BAD!! MUCH MUCH easier to burn out. The upper bushings will come out pretty easy. I just drilled into the steel end a little way with an oversize drill and the steel end popped right off. Pretty easy. You will see what I mean when you get to it.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I'm thinking of getting myself some. How much difference did you notice after the new bushings?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I would be cautious install urethane at pivot points. They have problems with heat, cold flow, and squeking which does not go well with pivot points. I have Delrin LCA and UCA bushings and they made an amazing difference on my car. With the Delrin you are really have to change out the stock shocks for Bilstein 00R shocks to keep from being underdamped because they make the rear much more dynamic.

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
are you running otherwise stock springs? i was intending to switch over to 00r springs and struts and simply get the rears revalved stiffer. not too many data points yet on the full delrin setup.

Originally posted by toofast4u
I would be cautious install urethane at pivot points. They have problems with heat, cold flow, and squeking which does not go well with pivot points. I have Delrin LCA and UCA bushings and they made an amazing difference on my car. With the Delrin you are really have to change out the stock shocks for Bilstein 00R shocks to keep from being underdamped because they make the rear much more dynamic.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
are you running otherwise stock springs? i was intending to switch over to 00r springs and struts and simply get the rears revalved stiffer. not too many data points yet on the full delrin setup.

No. I am running substatially higher spring rates then stock 425 Ibs/in coil-overs in the front with MM race struts and 650 Ibs/in coil-overs in the rear with the 00R shocks. I would not switch the stock struts for 00R struts. Per Maximum Motorsports they have a poor dampening rate especially when compared to the 00R shocks. They said that they believed it would be cose to the stock 03 struts, but did not have time to fully test them yet. This was over a year ago so you might want to give them a call to see if this is accurate. Are you going to have the rears revalved higher then the 00R shocks? What do you mean by data points on the delrin setup?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
not too many people are voicing their opinions regarding the delrin bushings yet. i'm collecting other parts and intend to do it all at once.

in other threads you mention that freeing up the rear suspension with the delrin bushings makes the springs more efficient thus requiring stiffer shock valving. ok, so for a given spring rate, wheel rate increases. do you have a number for this increase? exactly how much stiffer do i need to go with the shock valving? i'd honestly prefer to run the stock springs but fatter anti-roll bars, rather than increasing spring rate.

Originally posted by toofast4u
No. I am running substatially higher spring rates then stock 425 Ibs/in coil-overs in the front with MM race struts and 650 Ibs/in coil-overs in the rear with the 00R shocks. I would not switch the stock struts for 00R struts. Per Maximum Motorsports they have a poor dampening rate especially when compared to the 00R shocks. They said that they believed it would be cose to the stock 03 struts, but did not have time to fully test them yet. This was over a year ago so you might want to give them a call to see if this is accurate. Are you going to have the rears revalved higher then the 00R shocks? What do you mean by data points on the delrin setup?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Ricks2003Cobra
ToFast4U, What was the amazing difference!

The delrin bushings will dramatically change how your car handles and behaves. Some will love it and some will hate it you are not going to get to many in between.

Here is a good thread that we are talking about these bushings.
delrin bushings - TWS trip report

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
not too many people are voicing their opinions regarding the delrin bushings yet. i'm collecting other parts and intend to do it all at once.

in other threads you mention that freeing up the rear suspension with the delrin bushings makes the springs more efficient thus requiring stiffer shock valving. ok, so for a given spring rate, wheel rate increases. do you have a number for this increase? exactly how much stiffer do i need to go with the shock valving? i'd honestly prefer to run the stock springs but fatter anti-roll bars, rather than increasing spring rate.

Not too many have them. I don't have a number for the increase, but I can say that Maximum Motorsports rate the 00R shocks for up to a 700 Ibs/in coil-over set-up before they will be underdamped. 03 Cobra Toy has 600 Ibs/in coil-overs and after the Delrin bushings he is experiencing underdampening. Andy M has a 00R with the stock 00R 750 Ibs/in springs and shocks and after the Delrin he is feeling underdamped. Mine has 650 Ibs/in coil-overs and I can feel the underdampening, but am now use to it and don't plan on changing it as I don't want to mess with the handling now. I think with the Delrin bushings with the stock 03 springs at least in a coupe with 00R shocks would be a good combination for most and will dramatically decrease the stock understeer.

Users who are viewing this thread