low voltage, help needed...

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
The charging system in the lightning is giving out on me and I need advice on how to upgrade. I've seen two yellow top batteries fit side by side in the stock battery location. I've considered installing a higher output alternator but I'm worried the output will be insufficient at idle rpm. What is the best way make sure I have plenty of voltage available, especially at idle?

I'D WIN

Established Member
Have you tested the alternator or are you guessing that the alternator is going bad? I would suggest doing a load test on it and going from there. You can upgrade the alternator with no problems. Search around though.

Jon02SVT

Axe me about Ebonics
Established Member
I'D WIN said:
Have you tested the alternator or are you guessing that the alternator is going bad? I would suggest doing a load test on it and going from there. You can upgrade the alternator with no problems. Search around though.

I'm running way too much for the stock alternator, keeping it isn't an option. I just need to know what works better, 2 batteries or high output alternator. Specifically, my biggest problem is when the truck is at a stop. I'm tired of having to turn things off at every stoplight :mj:

I'D WIN

Established Member
What the heck are you running? :D

At idle the charding system isn't going to produce much anyways regardless of how big you go. You may want to invest in a deep cycle Optima battery if you are running "that" much. Other than that, you can go thru Mr. Alternator for a larger output alternator.

fatwake2000

Established Member
i would like to know what you are running also. i have two jl 500/1 and a jl 300/4 and a good amount of leds in my truck and i have the stock alter. and battery and im fine.

Struck2001

Got Beer?
Established Member
wow,I have 1 500/1 JL and 1 300/4 JL and 1 JLw7 10" and when my lights are on and my system is up my dash lights dim. I've thought about going with a 200A alt. What do you have in your truck?

I'D WIN

Established Member
I don't recommend a 200A alternator unless your doing nothing but shows and sound-offs. The 200A tends to heat up quite a bit causing the output leads to heat up as well. If you don't upgrade all of your wiring, you run the risk of a fire. Not to mention it takes more power to drive a 200A alternator then it does to drive a stock or slightly higher output alternator.

Users who are viewing this thread