Low torque numbers and hesitation.

sushistrip

Established Member
Just recently got a dyno tune for 91 and E85. My mods are intake, o/r x pipe, cat-back, 2.81 pulley. When I went to go get tuned I had a bap, idler pulley, and 60lb injectors installed. The circumstances at the time did not allow me to take the car back if I found an issue while driving it (I live 5 hours away from the tuner). My first issue is there is hesitation between shifts. I've heard this can be caused from either the tune or the pprv? I did not have hesitation before the 60lbs, bap, and tune.

On the previous 91 tune from a different tuner, on stock midpipe, it made 438/48X.
Here are my dyno graphs for these new tunes that I got on 4/25:
(Images are huge if I use tags)
http://imgur.com/PGoYsbi
Corrected:
http://imgur.com/LVGYVDn

Needless to say my second issue is those torque numbers, and the way it drives seems to reflect them. Quite frankly the car feels slow. Compared to my previous tune on 91, should it not feel like an absolute monster on E85? I plan on doing some data logging tonight and will update this thread.

UPDATE 5/5:
I did some data logging and found where my torque went, or so I assume.

Link to the excel file on google docs, this was a 2nd through 3rd gear run (you need to sign into google I think):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YLRqvtqlHeMyomjz9GqyaefixraVc9e3JoPWqu4DaJg/edit?usp=sharing

The column to the far right should be how much boost I'm making, and assuming my calculation are correct, it's fairly alarming.
Only making 11lbs on a 2.81?! Something isn't right. Does anyone know where the most logical places are to check for a boost leak? My bypass valve seems to be working fine, it looks like it closes all the way when I goose it but fairly impossible to tell what it's doing at wot without a dyno. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I can't see the log, how much timing is in it?

The hesitation is probably in the tune, although I do believe there are certain situations where a hesitation may always exist with returnless systems. I've been self tuning my 03 with a whipple, 60's with a BAP and there are some tricks to prevent the bog. My first attempts at tuning it resulted in a large hesitation, my last attempt after modifying the Open loop fuel table, and the amount of throttle to trigger open loop fixed my hesitation. LOL now I'm going to install a return system this week.

Last edited:

BadAzztt

Established Member
A few things going on, néed to get an accurate read on the boost for sure. The low torque many times will be because of timng, need to see where that is also. As far as the hesitation some cars respond better than other to the pprv delete and some can take care of it in the tune. Some (like mine) seem to have a nasty hesitation no matter who tunes it or how you set it up. I eventually went return because the hesitation drove me nuts. Return now and couldn't be happier...

sushistrip

Established Member
I think you need to view it in google chrome and be signed in. The timing peaks around 23 in the higher rpms. If you are able to view that excel file, my boost is suppose to be that far right column however I'm not 100% confident that it is correct, I'm assuming the item I logged to get it is actually what I want. Also, this is running e85. 100% of the numbers I've seen for cobras with similar mods running e85 are making well over 490wtq if not over 500. I forgot to mention in the update that my hesitation is gone. The only thing I've done is replace a connector on the pcv system and put on a new belt. Although, I noticed the hesitation was gone before the new belt. When I got it tuned they completely switched around my vacuum and boost lines. It looks really good under the hood but it could possibly be the cause of my lack of boost. I'm gonna start with the bypass actuator and make sure it's working correctly and make sure all my lines are tight. I'll update in a few days.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Your HP looks good for your mods, so it doesn't seem like it would be a boost problem. 23 degrees of timing is plenty for sure. I would check the speed ratio on the dyno run. There is a good chance during peak torque either your tires were spinning a bit or the clutch could be slipping causing a false lower reading also.

sushistrip

Established Member
That's what we thought at first, that maybe he got the tire size wrong or put in the gears wrong. But the car "feels" slower on e85 than it did on 91, and that's just not right. It should feel like an absolute monster on e85, and yet it feels slower. I wouldn't be surprised if I threw it on a another dyno and it actually made around the same torque as it did on his, because it certainly feels that weak. But yes, the hp does look right on the dot for my mods.

cj428mach

Established Member
Isn't E85 like 110 octane. People run 17-18 degrees with 93 at 17lbs. He's at 12lbs with only 23 and E85 octane. I thought someone just posted a E85 timing table in the tuning or fuel section and they were running way more timing with more boost.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Isn't E85 like 110 octane. People run 17-18 degrees with 93 at 17lbs. He's at 12lbs with only 23 and E85 octane. I thought someone just posted a E85 timing table in the tuning or fuel section and they were running way more timing with more boost.

People might run that timing with a twin screw at that boost. I have always been at 21-22 degrees on 93 with the eaton.

sushistrip

Established Member
He put my timing low because of the different blends that they have available for "e85". If he put my timing at 26* I would probably need to test the fuel before I fill up. Regardless though, if I made ~480wtrq on like 19* of timing I should be making an ass ton on 23* lol.

Users who are viewing this thread