Low tire pressure light, but goes off after short drive - pressure correct

cheeser

Established Member
Installed new rims and tires at Discount Tires with new seniors from DT. Was going to reuse the OE ones, but DT thought they were doing me a favor as they messed up my tire order. Still have old ones.

Whenever we get into the car first thing, the low tire light will come on, but then go off after a short drive. Haven't paid attention as to exactly how long it takes for them to go off. The pressures were set at 32 psi initially, and I just bumped them up to 34 psi to see if that would change anything, but still have same proble.

i wonder I'd something is wrong with the sensors? I am used to my Toyota Tundra where I hit the tpms reset button at whatever pressure I want to stick to, but the mustang doesn't seem to have that capability. I assume that the Ford system is stuck monitoring to 32 psi, but that doesn't explain the problem I have.

slick3

Established Member

Well... If they go off after a short drive im assuming its because they are still too low. When you drive it its building up a little heat so the pressure will slightly increase. Bump all your tires up 4-5 lbs and see if it fixes itself. Your air pressure gauge could be wrong especially if its a vatozone special or some gauge you are using at the gas station.

Zemedici

Established Member
^^this.

The light is going off because the tires are getting above the threshold for the lights as they warm up. Bump up the pressure. Remember, whatever you bump it to when its warm, it'll drop 3-6/7 PSI when its cold.

soSincerious

Established Member
I set my tires in the high 20s and the light stays off. I don't feel this is a pressure issue.

Likely a calibration or communication issue with the aftermarket sensors.

cheeser

Established Member
I always check the pressures cold, so I started with 32 and now at 34. I am using a digital gauge and will try another just to verify. I assume the factory system is always looking for 32 psi with no way to change the monitoring point?

I guess my next test is to wait until the light goes off and then see what those temps are. I can then pump up the tires a bit more to match for troubleshooting purposes to see if the light stays off then.

I assume that if this continues than it may be the sensor(s) themselves and go back to Discount Tire.

Users who are viewing this thread