low speeds for the 1/4?

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
hey guys. trying to figure out why our mph is so low. can anyone comment?

mods:
full griggs setup
2.8 a/r pulley
billetflow idlers
meziere electric water pump
26x10.5 m/t et streets on diamond racing rims (15 psi)
upr clutch quadrent and adjuster
my custom predator tune (saw between 11.8-12.5 on an in-car wideband)

we're thinking its beltslip + the taller tires...what do you guys think?

heres my fastest slip- #119

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Man, look what the other guy ran! He's slow! What a loser. He had you by 6/10ths at the tree and still lost... ;-) (It's me)

Well, I think the slicks are slowing you guys down a little, but not that much. The true test would be for you guys to run on the Nittos. You should be trapping 112-113 at LACR. Maybe you're running a little rich up top. If you think it's slip, go with the RR pulley. I love mine, and it does not slip. It may also be your clutch. It turned out (after talking to Eric @ XMP), the reason I was going slower when power shifting may have been that the clutch was slipping trying to grab at those high rpms.

We should go out to LACR on a Friday grudge night to test the possiblities.

noslo50

Established Member
Belt slip or clutch slip my first clutch started slipping in third. Were you powershifting? If not that could be combined with belt slip to a lower mph. Jerry

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
no powershifting, launched at 4300, dropping the clutch till it caught a little and then easing it out from there, with the revs never falling below 4000. shifted at 6300 every shift.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
BTW, for you folks with good weather/elevation/track prep in your area, a 12.28 at LACR is pretty damn good for an '03 Cobra on the Eaton. But, 109 is still a few mph low. Us pullied/chipped cars usually run about 112-113.

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
especially a piggy vert. yeah, the altitude sucks, but i don't like to go by corrected times, which would be a 11.53 per a friends calculations.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
I understand about the corrections. My best run converted to an 11.66 @ 121, but hey, that's not on the actual timeslip now is it?

I really think it might be that your are "pig" rich at high rpms (pun intended).

Last edited:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
BTW, according to P's calculations, your run converts to 11.48 @ 116. But that doesn't count anyway. 11s will come soon enough @ C-bad... or Fontuckey. Do I smell an SVT invasion on Cal Speedway?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
BTW, for you folks with good weather/elevation/track prep in your area, a 12.28 at LACR is pretty damn good for an '03 Cobra on the Eaton. But, 109 is still a few mph low. Us pullied/chipped cars usually run about 112-113.

Does seem low. Mine wouldn't go below 13.20, but the mph was 109. Catback and open filter.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I think the slightly taller ET streets would be an advantage. I personally haven't used them, but the guys around here who have, have not complained about less ET or MPH.

Despite what my dyno curves say, my car runs it's best ET's and MPH shifting right at 6000.

46stang

Established Member
Dude the problem is posted right on your timeslip. I will spell it out for you LACR.:xpl: the elevation,side winds, dirt blowing on the track, always equals less mph there! My best time there is a 12.5 at 109mph on et drags, but i've gotten a 119mph pass at famoso, so don't worry it's just that track! my friend was running 112-113 mph that same night at lacr so i was kind of worried, so we did a couple of freeway blasts when we left the track and our cars were dead even.(we have same mods) he was on drag radials at the track so i think the et drags lose a little mph in favor of traction? Also if you power shift you'll probably gain 2-3mph. you should go to C/bad on oct. 25th, track prep blows but the 200ft elevation will get your mph up there!
Leon

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
maybe if you learned to drive adam.
Why would you drive Adam? :lol1:

12.2 is pretty damn good at LACR. To give you an idea I ran 12.2 on my friends 700 at LACR and an 11.8 at Carlsbad on the same bike.

Users who are viewing this thread