Low profile fan/radiator combo

cbrown9064

Established Member
My stock radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced. Also, I cannot cool the car with the AC on. Setup is Paxton intercooler, 1996 condenser, and 1996 radiator. Car never had the TSB.

Debating on going with a stock replacement 1997, having a new core with bigger tubes put in mine, or aftermarket (DeWitts, Mishimoto, Fluidyne, etc...).

My problem is the Novi 2k/Paxton set up and how my tubes go down and up from the intercooler. This is not the typical mount if you have not seen a Paxton. Limited room between front of engine and radiator. If I go with a Mishimoto, I loose 1" of clearance and I dont have an inch to spare.

Thoughts?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From my research, it seems no aftermarket fans/setup outflow the stock setup. I researched a lot when looking into single turbo setups a couple months ago.

Also, as you already know, the real issue with the 96 cars is the AC condenser having too many fins per inch, reducing overall flow to the radiator. This combined with your front mount intercooler occluding air flow to the radiator as well is most likely your issue.

A larger radiator will of course help, but ultimately the AC condenser needs to be replaced for the updated unit in the TSB.

Do you have the Paxton setup that routes the charge piping underneath the radiator support? I've heard those cause similar issues as well, which only exacerbates the 96 cars pre-existing cooling problems.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Yep, Paxton that comes up from underneath, front to back with both inlet and outlet.

Am leaning the same way on the AC condenser. I wonder if I can take it to someone (in the spring), have them evacuate the system. Go home (to my lift) and R&R the condenser, then take it back to them.

On a side note, have a local radiator guru look to see if he can put a single core with bigger tubes in my 1996 shell. That may be the intermediate step, instead of the aftermarket 2 cores that are a full inch deeper.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
You could try upgrading to the 97+ cooling hardware. But I've came across multiple stories of direct fit with no issues to not fitting without some modification.

On the other hand, you could attempt to ascertain the old 96 Mustang/Cobra TSB hardware kit. Which from my understanding is just 97+ hardware anyway.

F6ZZ-8005-FB (Wrong P/N)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-OEM...ash=item3f71e6e4ba:g:W4kAAOSwgtJXTxBj&vxp=mtr

Edit: I listed the wrong information. The correct part number for Cobras is
F6ZZ-8005-JA.

Source: https://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/96-25-12.pdf
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/1996-cooling-tsb.384925/#post-5030640

Last edited:

MysticChaos

Established Member
It might be worth putting in a call to the guys at Late Model. They list a replacement ac condenser that fits 96-98 mustangs:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-19712C/96-98-Mustang-AC-Condenser

There is no 1 for 96 and 1 for 97-98 like there is with the radiators. It would be my assumption that the unit they sell currently fixed the cooling fin issue and is compatible with the 96. Can't hurt to call and ask them.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Just for future reference, here is a comparison between the stock and updated 97+ AC condenser.

Comparison.JPG

ComparisonCloseUp.JPG

Credit: mwolson
Source Link

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The end of the month I can send you all my 98 A/C cooling and radiator stuff if you want.. Sell it to you for cheap

cbrown9064

Established Member
Thanks guys for the continued responses.

One thing Infailed to report, is the car only gets hot when the AC is on. Otherwise it was running cool with the old setup (intercooler/96 condenser/96 rad). When you would switch on the AC is when it would start to overheat.

After just reading what I wrote, I wonder if the best thing is to do the TSB 97 rad and condenser? Only issue I have is how to evacuate the AC while the car is disabled...

cbrown9064

Established Member
You could try upgrading to the 97+ cooling hardware. But I've came across multiple stories of direct fit with no issues to not fitting without some modification.

On the other hand, you could attempt to ascertain the old 96 Mustang/Cobra TSB hardware kit. Which from my understanding is just 97+ hardware anyway.

F6ZZ-8005-FB (Wrong P/N)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-OEM...ash=item3f71e6e4ba:g:W4kAAOSwgtJXTxBj&vxp=mtr

Edit: I listed the wrong information. The correct part number for Cobras is
F6ZZ-8005-JA.

Source: https://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/96-25-12.pdf
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/1996-cooling-tsb.384925/#post-5030640

Even though that eBay listing is for a non ABS car, it is a good buy on a Rad, fan and condenser...

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I've found the correct complete Cobra tsb kit on eBay from time to time. It normally averages $600~ish when it pops up.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
OP, like I stated, at the end of this month I can ship you all my 98 shit.. I literally am not using it at all. and no way in hell would I charge you anywhere close $600 lol.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I pulled my entire A/C unit off my car- never going back in, and my stock 98 Radiator in perfect condition with fan that I can't use.. All has less then 40k miles on it.. I'll be back on the 30th.. And can pack it up and ship it the 31st or the 1st.. PM me if you're interested.

cbrown9064

Established Member
So I bought the TSB kit that was on eBay for $500. Tuned out that was a steal. New radiator, fan, condenser, wiring harness including power distribution block, dryer, brackets, prop rod, vanity cover, etc... just the radiator, fan and condenser would have been over $500 shipped. Also, I reviewed what came in the kit versus what I needed for the Cobra and everything is there, plus some. The GT non-abs needed more stuff apparently.

After looking at the condenser, that is really the issue. But my old radiator was leaking also, so now have a new system. Should be good for another 20 years!

ZeroDCX

Established Member
So I bought the TSB kit that was on eBay for $500. Tuned out that was a steal. New radiator, fan, condenser, wiring harness including power distribution block, dryer, brackets, prop rod, vanity cover, etc... just the radiator, fan and condenser would have been over $500 shipped. Also, I reviewed what came in the kit versus what I needed for the Cobra and everything is there, plus some. The GT non-abs needed more stuff apparently.

After looking at the condenser, that is really the issue. But my old radiator was leaking also, so now have a new system. Should be good for another 20 years!

That's the TSB kit I was referring to. Considering the original MSRP being over a grand, that was a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread