Low Oil Light

pottsy

Established Member
Tonight I was getting off the freeway after being on there for about 20 minutes, and I pulled into a gas station. After filling up I was pulling out and my Low Oil Light came on and stayed on...so I turned the car off and everything seemed normal, oil pressure was normal, I know the oil level was fine because I checked it the other day. I turned it on and there was no light, and drove it another 20 minutes home with no problems. Is there a reason for this? I wasn't driving the car hard before the light came on...any ideas why this happened?

blk96SVT

Established Member
Were you parked on a slight incline while your car was off at the gas station? If so, this is why, the oil sensor is real sensitive, mine does this also, its a PITA.

Interspy24

Established Member
Pottsy,

Greetings. This happens every now and then in my car. Apparently it has something to do with the sensor(s). I've noticed that parking it on an incline may cause this.

Also, not to stir up a big debate or anything, but I also use 6.5 quarts of oil. I've read that the heads can hold a lot of oil, and 1996 was the only year for the oil light. I guess the other years don't have one. There's quite a bit of reading material on it over on corral.

Vik

mystic venom

Established Member
agree with them the oil sensor is super sensitive. Any incline will set it off. Also sometimes stopping and starting up real quick as in getting gas or just a coke will set it off. Some say pita some say good insurance!:-D

pottsy

Established Member
Yeah that sounds about right, the offramp was very steep down and the gas station wasn't exactly level either...thanks for the responses, hopefully it's nothing to worry about. :)

c9obr6a

Established Member
I have the same promblem and run 1/2 quart more typcialy light comes on every 500 - 800 miles add 1/2 quart good to go!

Mhissticobra

Established Member
Damn I thought I was the only one with this problem, it is a PITA to see it lit up there but I agree with Mystic Venom on the insurance!

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I agree.96's have a really sensitive oil level sensor....The problem was fixed in the 97's if I'm not mistaken....I figured it out after having my 96 and runnin into the same problem...Never go by your sensor unless your already on the road....Check the dipstick at least once a week to have peace of mind....

Users who are viewing this thread