Low oil at 2000 miles...top off or change the oil??

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
After some spirited driving the past several weeks the oil is now just below the second dot on the dip stick. I understand that the Coyote may burn a little oil (especially the OEM 5w-20).

At 2000 miles, would you guys top it off with the OEM oil or go ahead and perform a full oil change with something better now?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I always change my oil on new cars at 1,000 miles although it's probably not necessary (old habits die hard). I changed the oil in my Boss at 1,100 miles and remember it takes 5w50 not 5w20.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
5w-50?? Wow...I read elsewhere to use 5w-30.

What brand synthetic are you guys using? My pops is using Pennzoil Ultra "Hyper" in his 2011 5.0...and he seems pleased with it (despite the hit to the wallet!!).

svt1111

Established Member

What brand synthetic are you guys using? My pops is using Pennzoil Ultra "Hyper" in his 2011 5.0...and he seems pleased with it (despite the hit to the wallet!!).

I prefer to use the Motorcraft 5-50 full synthetic that the car was engineered to run on. Buy at least 10 qts. as the system holds 8.5 and you will want some extra laying around for when it runs down a bit from driving.

Just did my oil and filter yesterday at 1,200 miles.

Just so you know, the correct oil filter is in fact the FL500S that all 5.0's take. I thought they gave me the wrong filter, as the factory filter is smaller and just says "FoMoCo" on it with no part number. Must have been an assembly line thing.

5 DOT 0

Established Member

I'm also using Motorcraft as I'm having the dealer change the oil for $85. Two good options are Redline and Mobil 1. Many think Mobil 1 is not available but it is you just have to hunt for it or order online. I shop local to me stocks Mobil 1 5w50 for $8.99 a qt.

adam81

Established Member
I would change it out but only because I am a maintenance nut and change oil for the first time at 1k miles and then every 3k miles, or depends on track days, after that. Anytime after that just top it off....

Use the stock 5w-50. All the Motorcraft fluids for this car are of great quality. Go to your local dealer and get it...... Don't see how the above guy has a hard time finding stuff??????

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone...looks like I will be changing the oil before I get her back out on the road.

bull3441

Established Member
change the oil. 5W-50 has high oil pressure @ start-up, 100psi on the GT500's. what's the psi on the Boss?

bull3441

Established Member
Yep, 5W-50. It's almost like Ford went out of their way to use hard-to-find fluids and wearables for this car. All anyone had in stock local to me was Castrol.
you can only get the Motorcraft 5w-50 from Ford or a ford product distributor, not sold on shelves. at least in my area.

Last edited:

Unrealford

Established Member
Im at 1,500 miles and my oil is just below second dot also.

Im going to take it in for oil change within the week, LOL hoping i find a coupon in email or mailbox...:lol1:

5 DOT 0

Established Member

Im going to take it in for oil change within the week, LOL hoping i find a coupon in email or mailbox...:lol1:
If you're taking it to a Ford dealer check their website. :thumbsup:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member

Why not change it yourself? I have a hard time understanding an automobile enthusiast who buys a performance car and doesn't even want to change their own oil:??:

Unrealford

Established Member
Why not change it yourself? I have a hard time understanding an automobile enthusiast who buys a performance car and doesn't even want to change their own oil:??:

I take it normally for the sake of keeping records, and on the Ford site you can build a garage for your cars, and you can go to the site and look back at all records, oil, inspect. Tire rotation, flushes, warranty work, you name it and its all done automatically.
But after I had posted that I went out and bought the oil and Ford filter.:D
Ohh and since its just a summer toy it only gets 1 oil change after storage, so the cost isnt a factor normally.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread