Low mileage 96 cobra (Turbo or Procharger)

03blkann

Established Member
I am sure there are a million of these posts, But here is another one lol..I have been going back and forth between a procharger or a turbo set up.
96 cobra 27k miles, Stock motor, built 8.8 4.10s, t-56, intake, x-pipe full catback (stock headers)...I do plan on building the motor eventually, I would just like some peoples opinion on each...I've read procharger and I've also read turbo. Any input would be lovely and very much appreciated Thanks!

Last edited:

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
Don't forget vortech, that's what I have and I like it. Plus I've seen some nice used kits selling here for cheap.

03blkann

Established Member
Don't forget vortech, that's what I have and I like it. Plus I've seen some nice used kits selling here for cheap.

Yeah those aren't completely out of the picture I am looking to make about 600ish to the tire after all is said and done and after I build the motor of course!

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Depends on your budget, personal preference, mechanical skill and purpose of the car, I'd say. There are both pros and cons to both sides. Centrifugal supercharger setups tend to be cheaper than turbo setups and easier to maintain, etc etc etc. Periodically there are used centri kits for sale at a decent price (less than half the price of a quality turbo kit). But a quality proper centri setup could get up there in the price ie. Intercooling costs, 8-rib/Cog conversion, etc.

LDC2335

Established Member
For that power, you'll need probably an intercooled T-trim with a 8 rib set up. Even used you'll be in the 4k range easy. Hell, Im there with my Vortech S-trim w/ procharger intercooler and I bought it all used.

However, as is you can run a vortech or procharger with a stock pulley and powerpipe at 9 psi and make 400-450. Then a pulley swap/tune after your engine build and your up there without buying a lot more.

03blkann

Established Member
For that power, you'll need probably an intercooled T-trim with a 8 rib set up. Even used you'll be in the 4k range easy. Hell, Im there with my Vortech S-trim w/ procharger intercooler and I bought it all used.

However, as is you can run a vortech or procharger with a stock pulley and powerpipe at 9 psi and make 400-450. Then a pulley swap/tune after your engine build and your up there without buying a lot more.
Appreciate all the input guys and I've put some money aside so money isn't really an issue.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Im running a Vortech S trim on my 98. I may try a turbo sometime down the road but i really got no complaints with the Vortech right now. And you can never get tired of the whistle it makes at idle.

LDC2335

Established Member
Hell, everyone thinks I have a turbo anyway because of the blow off valve.

I've personally never owned a turbo car, but just from threads and research, turbos cost a lot more, require more maintenance, and have more parts to break. Though they can make some insane power.

Superchargers are simple, require nearly no maintenance, easily upgradable and for less money.

Not really a matter of if you have the money, it's more if you want to waste it.

Superchargers are a dime a dozen though. If your looking to be in the "different" crowd.... Go turbo.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Being the only guy with a turbo car in this thread, my .02, I think a used centri kit is the way to go for most people.

I love my turbo car. It is huge fun and puts a smile on face every time I get behind the wheel, but turbos aren't for everyone. There are concessions you'll have to make with any kit you purchase and the cost of entry is most certainly higher than a used blower.

I think the perception that turbo cars are unreliable is due to the fact that most people who have them tend to run them pretty hard. At those power levels, things break. If you think you're going to own any 600whp car and not have to fiddle with it occasionally you'll be sorely disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread