Low Mileage 96-98 Values

87lc2

Established Member
Sold my 96 Coupe a couple of years ago and have regretted it since. In the market for another one and just wondering what nice low mileage stock cars go for nowadays. Going to be looking mostly for a triple black vert with under 20k miles and no modifications. I know it wont be easy to find, but Im in no rush. I see these cars advertised all over the place, some as high as $18k which seems like a bit much. I know a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but hoping a few owners that have purchased recently would be kind enough to share what the actual sale value would be for a similar car.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I've kept my eye on the market. Its safe to say that what your searching for is valued between 12-15k. All depends on how fast the person needs the sale and miles on car.

18-20k is termi swap territory.

87lc2

Established Member
Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks for posting. Just so happens that since my first post Ive found a 96 triple black car with 16k miles and have tentatively agreed on $12k with the owner. Its pretty far away and havent seen the car yet, but from the photos Ive seen its pretty much a new car, never touched. I would be buying this car to keep so it really doesnt matter what I pay if its exactly what I want, but its nice to know that Im not paying well above market.

I personally love the 96-98 look and dont really have an interest in a 99/01 or 03/04, but I have a feeling that the more miles the 03/04's get and the cheaper they get it will really hurt the values of 96-01 Cobras, even with low mileage. Am I way off base with that thinking?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Were I in the market for another Mustang right now, I'd jump on it at that price if it's truly stock and low-mile.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I would buy that car it sounds nice. I drove 6 hours one way when i bought the BAB. 1/553 stock in flawless shape i couldnt pass it up. I agree i would prefer a 96-98 over a 99-03. When they came out i loved them alot but over time you see more and more of them and for the most part they are v6's with nice paint and rims and an exhaust tip, disappointing. Dont get me wrong when it comes to the termi i love the car ALOT. But once again their everywhere go to a local muscle meet around here and you will see 10 termis 15 built GT's & 10 new gen cameros & 5 gt500's per 1 nice sn95.

Ill ask a bunch of previous sn95 owners why they sold their sn95 they will say they abandoned the SN95 only because of its stock power rating being 260-286 Wheel vs the termis stock 370-390+ the other response was modern style which i do agree a nicely modded sonic blue or torch 03-04 cobra stanced looks sexy. Mods to even the time difference easily puts the two cars on equal ground but some do not want to be bothered with the build time it would take for the mods. As for style everyone there that night said they love the looks of the sn95 its the extra performance that draws them to the terminator as well as its newer looks.

As for value, yes sadly the cars will only depreciate in value as the chain of newer high performance cars become cheaper. But im sure if you hold on to the car in decades to come it will be looked at as we look at cars in the past now. Along with the rest of the modern icons which hold their own for collect-ability. Just dont let it sit around if you do wind up buying it! Good luck

Last edited:

87lc2

Established Member
Definitely wont let it sit around, they were meant to be driven, right? I agree about the 99/01, I dont see the appeal there. The 96-98 has much better styling as far as Im concerned between the front bumper and the hood. Id love to find a BAB car, but those are few and far between. Usually command a good premium over other colors as well so I have no problem sticking with black. It'll match all my Buicks anyway if its black.

Ive seen some more photos of the car and its bone stock and looks pretty much new. Ran Carfax and Autocheck and everything looks good. Going to meet him Saturday and as long as there are no surprises I should have it in my garage by Saturday night. Thanks again for the opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread