low idle and occasional dying

SonicBeast

Established Member
i just bought my cobra and have been driving it this week for the first time and i noticed that the car idles around 750 but as you sit for a while it drops lower to around 650 and it shakes the car a bit like its struggling to stay running. i also had it die on me twice when it was coming down in rpms and i made a tight turn in a parking lot, like the power steering made it die. my mods are a stage 5 port and sbtb, 2.76 upper and unknown idlers, intake exhaust and tune. let me know what ya think. i came from a 650hp evo so it doesnt bother me awhole lot, used to finicky lol just wanna make sure its nothing major and maybe just a tuning issue

cbarile

Established Member
Mine did exact same thing and it was an o2 sensor on drivers side.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Start with the easy stuff. Check for vacuum leaks and make sure the TPS is clocked right.

^ This is a good area to start. If you have a programmer, scan the car to see if there are any codes stored.

After checking for vacuum leaks and such, take a look at the IAC motor and see if it looks dirty, may need to be cleaned. You can remove it and just use some throttle body cleaner to get the gunk out.

Next, check the MAF, make sure it's not dirty as well. MAF cleaner can be picked up at the local auto parts store and can work pretty well.

Report back after you perform some of these steps or fix the issue.

matt87

Established Member
a cleaned or new k&n filter wit its oil will mess up a maf big time. i clean my iac and maf once every season. most likely that is your problem. i see you have a sbtb too. they have been known to cause idle issues too.

Users who are viewing this thread