low cost oil separator catch can installation

venomous99

Established Member
unlike the diy setups that run about $15-20 that use a small air compressor filter, i opted to try one of these cheap oil catch can separators off ebay. fyi, for those who do not know, this is a recommended add on to help reduce oil build-up in your intake, which is exacerbated with forced induction.

here is what is needed:
-1 x ebay oil catch can $19 shipped. these hold a good amount of oil with a bottom drain plug and often have a viewing tube to monitor levels in the canister. the particular kit includes mounting hardware, 3' ricer blue silicon tube and hose clamps. there are other kits available ranging in different designs and colors. i chose a simple black one.
DSCN1860.JPG

-1 x 3' long heater hose with inner diameter of 5/16" from the local parts store. $3
-1 x black nylon reducer coupling 1/2" x 5/16" $0.30 before shipping from US plastics, item #064282. this is required to adapt the heater hose going from the catch can to the lower intake hose that normally connects to the pcv filter.
DSCN2222.JPG

-1 x 1/2" convoluted tubing to cover the hoses. $4 at fry's electronics
installation
-remove the plastic tube that connects from the lower intake hose to the pcv filter
DSCN2221.JPG

DSCN2223.JPG

-mount the catch catch w/ the included hardware. i chose to mount mine inconspicuously near the radiator mount.
DSCN2220.JPG

-run the hoses and cover w/ plastic tubing. i ran the hoses under the master cylinder to the front of the car. try not to have the hoses droop as this could cause the oil to pool up in the hose, rather have the hoses go in a downward slope to the catch can.
DSCN2224.JPG

DSCN2225.JPG

finished product..excuse the mess.
DSCN2226.JPG

total cost for this setup is about $30, which is slightly more than the diy setup but has the benefit of a larger can and significantly cheaper than those other kits sold by popular mustang parts retailers.

black 10th vert

Established Member
nice job hiding it too! Very clean looking setup. I used the small compressor one, and mounted mine in the wheelwell, inside the shock tower. That location works great for the mall one, but there is no way a larger one like this would fit in there!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nice job,I really like how you hid it and covered the hose.The only thing I might do different is use FI hose vs. heater hose.Not sure how well the heater hose will hold up.

venomous99

Established Member
i think the heater hose should last a long time considering that its only being used for manifold vacuum.
its not so clear to me how ppl deal w/ the passenger side VC that is connector to the intake before TB. reading the threads on it, it looks like there are so many different configurations and many opinions on it.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Chances are there is no Filtering Media inside that can, and it only relies on gravity to pull the oil droplets out of the mixture.

I imagine some will still get through.

venomous99

Established Member
Chances are there is no Filtering Media inside that can, and it only relies on gravity to pull the oil droplets out of the mixture.

I imagine some will still get through.

exactly right..similar to the smaller ones..ppl end up removing the filter element as it breaks down quickly with use. i figure ill try this out for now while i figure what the heck to do w/ the passenger side.

Users who are viewing this thread