Low 10's on IRS?

Fast GTO

Established Member
Just wondering what sort of power and suspension mods have been required to run low 10's with a 2.2L KB.

In my last car (04 GTO) I was able to go 10.16 with 630rwhp on the IRS. Only mods to the IRS were stiffer springs/shocks/drag bags/bushings. That vehicle was an auto though so I am sure I picked up .2/.3 over an equivalent manual driven GTO.

I'm expecting 630rwhp from my Cobra on 20psi and 93 Octane so just wondering what to expect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSkYyw4_pGk"]YouTube- 416 CI L92 GTO on 200 shot N20 goes 10.16![/ame]

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
You are looking at mid to high 10s without significant weight reduction. People have gone 9s on the IRS. I think the first to do it on a TS and no nitrous was new Kmember, Lakewood rear shocks and lvl 5 halfshafts.

Fat-cat

Established Member
i should go mid 10's this year at my elevation on stock irs with a brace and springs. Biggest thing is soft wall tire to save your shafts and as godstang said, depending on power level and how aggressive you are you might need to consider some weight reductions to help you get there.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
Just quoting it cause it needs to be said again. This is about the most important thing.

And let me just quote this... because it is the most important factor in saving those halfshafts. Many people look past this and think its power related... not true, its mostly shock related, and for those that don't know... Drag radials don't absorb much shock.

Avenger

Established Member
Been 10.56 on a pretty much stock IRS (brace, diff bushings) and halfshafts but I started breaking them around the 1.55 60ft mark.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
And let me just quote this... because it is the most important factor in saving those halfshafts. Many people look past this and think its power related... not true, its mostly shock related, and for those that don't know... Drag radials don't absorb much shock.

I cant count how often I've made pretty much that same exact statement!

If you want your IRS to stand up to some hard launches, and want to get the best ET out of it, go with a Bias ply slick.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
what is a good soft wall tire that is DOT approved ET streets???

You can technically get your balls busted for ET Street bias ply tires on the street too, ask me how I know lol. It says "not for highway use" on the side, and you can recieve a nice ticket if you get yanked.

10-43 This 03

Established Member
You can technically get your balls busted for ET Street bias ply tires on the street too, ask me how I know lol. It says "not for highway use" on the side, and you can recieve a nice ticket if you get yanked.

If you go with Et Streets do not get caught in the rain. You will wreck regardless of speed. Was driving one with Et streets on it one time and was doing 20 mph in the slow lane and it just slid off the road. This was no fooling around accident, it just does not have any tread to clear water and the compound of the tire makes it feel like your on ice if driven in the rain.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Do not drive on bias ply ET Streets to the track. Don't risk it plus if you live a good distance away you will eat them up.

I would drive mine on the street but just to play on a warm night...

CobraStruck

Fastest Eaton/6-Speed/IRS
Established Member
I've been the best of 10.09 in the 1/4 on IRS. I had 28in. slicks, Delrin Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings, Aluminum Diff. bushings, Diff. Brace, Level 5 Axles, QA-1 Adjustable Shocks, Heavy Duty Tie Rods, Airbags, and Polyurethane Subframe Bushings. Next pass Level 5 broke. On my new car I'm not wasting my time or the money on IRS.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
If you go with Et Streets do not get caught in the rain. You will wreck regardless of speed. Was driving one with Et streets on it one time and was doing 20 mph in the slow lane and it just slid off the road. This was no fooling around accident, it just does not have any tread to clear water and the compound of the tire makes it feel like your on ice if driven in the rain.

Do not drive on bias ply ET Streets to the track. Don't risk it plus if you live a good distance away you will eat them up.

I would drive mine on the street but just to play on a warm night...

Ive run nothing but ET Street, and ET Drags to and from the track(40mi round trip +/-), and drive them to and from our lot every weekend and have never had an issue. Hell last year we got stuck in the rain at a show 45 miles away and I drove her back on the highway nno problems. Just gotta use your head and realize there are certain things you arent going to be able to do in the wet. In my experiences the tires arent as bad as people make em out to be in the rain.

GodStang

Established Member
So what was your overall assesment of the DSS Lvl V's?

DSCN1714.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread