Lovely state patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

LateralFace

Established Member
So going to work today, I get on the freeway right behind a state patrol officer and set my cruise control to the speed he was going which was about 63 mph. We then came up on some slower traffic, so I got into the left lane to pass. The patrol officer pulls over behind me, so as soon as I can, I get back to one of the middle lanes. He then passes, and gets in front of me again. This happens 3 more times. On the 4th time (which was about 20 miles down the freeway) He pulls in behind me and lights me up. When he comes up to the car, he writes my license down as well as looks at my registration and insurance. Without going back to his car he informs me that my plate needs to be on my bumper, and not in my windshield. He then says "have a nice day" and walks away. I just do not see how this accomplished anything, other than reminding me to sign my registration. I was just lucky that I had left early to get breakfast, otherwise I would have been late to work on a normal day, and to my knowledge the law does not say that the plate needs to be on my bumper. It just ticks me off, because I didn't get to eat breakfast. Why would an LEO do something like that?

sbro712

Established Member
....and your knowledge of the traffic code in your state would be greater than a trooper's because....?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In most states your plate needs to be in plain view and attached to the vehicle at a minimum/maximum height. Perhaps that is why he cited you.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Another person bitching about getting cut a break. He could have issued you a citation and decided not to:shrug:

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
All states that require a front plate, require the plate to be on the front bumper as far as I know.

97snake

Attorney at Law
Established Member
I know a few guys who have rigged up a double sided velcro setup that allows then to take their front plate on and off. You really can't notice the stuff on a darker car.

I also have a friend who tells cops that it is on "national backorder" from Ford for his 03 Gt. That excuse actually worked a few times.:bash:

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by LateralFace
So going to work today, I get on the freeway right behind a state patrol officer and set my cruise control to the speed he was going which was about 63 mph. We then came up on some slower traffic, so I got into the left lane to pass. The patrol officer pulls over behind me, so as soon as I can, I get back to one of the middle lanes. He then passes, and gets in front of me again. This happens 3 more times. On the 4th time (which was about 20 miles down the freeway) He pulls in behind me and lights me up. When he comes up to the car, he writes my license down as well as looks at my registration and insurance. Without going back to his car he informs me that my plate needs to be on my bumper, and not in my windshield. He then says "have a nice day" and walks away. I just do not see how this accomplished anything, other than reminding me to sign my registration. I was just lucky that I had left early to get breakfast, otherwise I would have been late to work on a normal day, and to my knowledge the law does not say that the plate needs to be on my bumper. It just ticks me off, because I didn't get to eat breakfast. Why would an LEO do something like that?

Crying foul, asking why........ You violate the law, the LEO cuts you lose with no citations issued. Ahhhh, you missed your breakfast... You could be missing a whole bunch of $ if he cited you. You should be here praising that LEO!

LateralFace

Established Member
Ok, so you guys think that I don't know the law and I am just whining about it, so here it is:

RCW 46.16.240

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

Hmmm......
attached conspicuously -- check

plainly seen and read at all times-- check

hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground -- check

shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times --check

ok, it looks like I am completely within the law here, so as far as thanking the officer for not issuing a citation, it wont happen because he couldn't have. It looks like he was just being a prick, plain and simple.

And to answer sbro712's question: "My knowledge of the Traffic code shouldn't be more than that of an officers, but it looks like it was, and thats the point."

I know that there is no possible way for an LEO to know all of the laws, but if he should at least have known the one for which he was pulling me over for. So I am still pissed I didn't get to eat breakfast.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground -- check

Your license plate laying on the dash of your car at the windshield edge is NOT "hung" in a horizontal position!!!

So UNCHECK!!!

WIlawman

Established Member
PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol.

Not to mention this. Did you obtain permission to deviate from the law from the State Patrol? Is the body construction of your vehicle such that you cannot comply with the law? Again, his stop was fine; he cut you a break, so leave it at that. :bored:

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Your license plate laying on the dash of your car at the windshield edge is NOT "hung" in a horizontal position!!!

So UNCHECK!!!

Placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times

Read again buddy... windows to me... are generally horizontal... is your vision slightly skewed? The plate is affixed in such a position that it is horizontal to the ground and visible from the front of the vehicle. The distance IS less than 4 feet AND greater than 1 foot. Therefore... THIS IS LEGAL!

Just my .02

-- Jaret

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Originally posted by WIlawman
Not to mention this. Did you obtain permission to deviate from the law from the State Patrol? Is the body construction of your vehicle such that you cannot comply with the law? Again, his stop was fine; he cut you a break, so leave it at that. :bored:

Permission is not required in this instance as my above listed post describes the placement of the plate.

-- Jaret

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by JClifton
Placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times

Read again buddy... windows to me... are generally horizontal... is your vision slightly skewed? The plate is affixed in such a position that it is horizontal to the ground and visible from the front of the vehicle. The distance IS less than 4 feet AND greater than 1 foot. Therefore... THIS IS LEGAL!

Just my .02

-- Jaret

Horizontal is the key word here. If the plate is laying on the dash it isnt horizontal, if it is attached to the windshield(that is sloping) it isnt horizontal either!!!

Side window are indeed horizontal in most cases, but windshields are not!!

Groovyash

Established Member
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I would think if it was truely horizontal on the windshield, it would then be obstructing your view (i.e. within the area covered by the path of your wiper blades) likely yet another violation and not an overly bright thing to do.

Dan

Last edited:

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Horizontal is the key word here. If the plate is laying on the dash it isnt horizontal, if it is attached to the windshield(that is sloping) it isnt horizontal either!!!

Side window are indeed horizontal in most cases, but windshields are not!!

So the fact that the license plate hung at a 70deg angle instead of a 90deg angle warranted a traffic stop:rollseyes What a waist of taxpayers money. Why don't we put this LEOs salary towards some K-12 schooling or donate it to a homeless shelter, might actually do some good there :loser:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Originally posted by Liv4Spd
So the fact that the license plate hung at a 70deg angle instead of a 90deg angle warranted a traffic stop:rollseyes What a waist of taxpayers money. Why don't we put this LEOs salary towards some K-12 schooling or donate it to a homeless shelter, might actually do some good there :loser:

The fact the officer doesnt get to make the law is completely missed on you!!! He just enforces it. Besides as already pointed out that was only one portion of the statute he violated.

Of yah, please read the guideline at the top of the forum and post within the SPECIFIC guidelines for THIS forum.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by Liv4Spd

Obviously any money spent on your education was also "wasted"...............

You know the difference right? "waisted" like the place your pants hang from vs "wasted" like your education..............

Game, Set, Match.............................

LEO = 1 Crybaby poster = 0 :loser:

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Obviously any money spent on your education was also "wasted"...............

You know the difference right? "waisted" like the place your pants hang from vs "wasted" like your education..............

Game, Set, Match.............................

LEO = 1 Crybaby poster = 0 :loser:

I am not even going to dignify a responce to yours, with you it would clearly be a waste my time and education. :rollseyes
LoL
Although I would like to hear you explain your "waisted like the place your pants hang from" theory:lol: Grow up:bash:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread