Louisiana tuner options

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
I have made an appointment with Stang-Hi but I am not liking the way they pressure u to buy, buy buy. I called to arrange a dyno pull to see where my numbers are and to check my A/F. Salesman calls me back to persuade me to buy a SCT tuner 380.00, Custom tune 400.00 and a consult 125.00. Times must be hard right now. I felt like I just walked into a shoe store in the mall and he had dollar signs in his eyes. Anybody else have a recommendation for a tuner in the area? Thanks

Geauxmook

Established Member
Vince @ L&S
Total Performance Solutions
L&L Automotive and Performance

I have only had dealings with Vince and I can say that he will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy with your tune.

RyansQuick6

HIV Negative since 1980!!
Established Member
I have made an appointment with Stang-Hi but I am not liking the way they pressure u to buy, buy buy. I called to arrange a dyno pull to see where my numbers are and to check my A/F. Salesman calls me back to persuade me to buy a SCT tuner 380.00, Custom tune 400.00 and a consult 125.00. Times must be hard right now. I felt like I just walked into a shoe store in the mall and he had dollar signs in his eyes. Anybody else have a recommendation for a tuner in the area? Thanks

Same thing happened to me, and when I wanted to buy my K-member, control arms, and coil-overs I went there to order and pay for them, no phone call, but they had to call me back to give me a price. A month later I got a call back to order the wrong stuff, they said they'd call me back AGAIN and I still have yet to hear from them.

Times must not be too tough if they can blow off selling someone $1500 in parts all at once.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Well I suppose I can go put my car on their dyno and go from there. One thing I can not stand is pushy sales tactics and a money hungry sales staff. I believe that most of the time they do not even know that they are being pushy. I am a car dealer and I own my own car dealership so one would think I would have sympathy for them but I sell cars without being pushy. Mainly, because it bothers me to think I am treating a customer in a way that I would not want to be treated. Its not just about money to me.

hottcobra

wish I had a terminator
Established Member
I also say to use TPS. just be aware that they have a mustang dyno so your #s will be lower than on a dynojet.

you can do the datalogging and get a mailorder tune, but the best bang for the buck is to drive to Mobile and get a custom tune on the dyno at RWTD. As they tune with the handheld that you already have.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we are trying to get a tuning day event planned for down there.. we will be using TPS's shop if we come down..so if you have one of Rick's emailed tunes he can fine tune it on the dyno there..

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
Well I got dynoed and I am in need of a tune pretty bad. It made 480 hp and 473 tq. The car is very lean though and needs a few things to make it safe.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
I use Cody at Stang-Hi and have absolutely no complaints. He even brought me his trailer at 1:30am when I broke a half shaft. His office guy is Donovan, and he may seem kinda pushy because hes a bar manager also. Haha.

I HEAR that Rick is good too, but thats kinda far to drive if you want an in house tune.

L&S doesnt have a dyno, he does dyno pulls on the street from what I heard.

I know the guys at TPS and they are pretty good guys, despite being goofy looking. (haha Jared) 91lxcoupe and 98rs know Jared and the crew over at TPS better than most here and could better give you an opinion. I will say that Jared does some really nice paint work also.

If I had a choice, I would like to check out Heath at Modular Madness West in Utah. He is a ****ing genious. He listened to my buddy's LS1 over the cell phone and told him exactly what was wrong with it. His lifters were tapping his valve covers. He knows way too much for his own good.

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
I use Cody at Stang-Hi and have absolutely no complaints. He even brought me his trailer at 1:30am when I broke a half shaft. His office guy is Donovan, and he may seem kinda pushy because hes a bar manager also. Haha.

I HEAR that Rick is good too, but thats kinda far to drive if you want an in house tune.

L&S doesnt have a dyno, he does dyno pulls on the street from what I heard.

I know the guys at TPS and they are pretty good guys, despite being goofy looking. (haha Jared) 91lxcoupe and 98rs know Jared and the crew over at TPS better than most here and could better give you an opinion. I will say that Jared does some really nice paint work also.

If I had a choice, I would like to check out Heath at Modular Madness West in Utah. He is a ****ing genious. He listened to my buddy's LS1 over the cell phone and told him exactly what was wrong with it. His lifters were tapping his valve covers. He knows way too much for his own good.

+1 to this.

I was just at Cody's shop today and he treated me damn well. I've only spent a total of about $700 bucks with him (dyno tune with 3 tunes and a SCT BA2600 MAF) and he treats me like I've dropped $20 grand at his shop. Today when I went by to see what was up he told me that he had some updates for my tune and to go get my hand held tuner. After he updated my tuner, the truck runs a lot stronger (added a little timing under the curve at part throttle to help with gas mileage from what I understand, but I'm no tuner so it was kinda over my head heh) and he did a COMPLETE overhaul on the tune to the transmission. I have a FTVB, but he didn't just up the line pressure or anything. He did a whole ton of fine tuning to it and now it shifts crisp, clean, quick, and hard. No more of that "lagging" feeling when it's right about to shift. Hell, it even chirped 2nd at 3/4 throttle when I was leaving his shop :eek:

I guess what my point is, Cody is a great guy and an even better tuner. Donovan is literally their sales guy/phone guy. He has a lot of calls he has to make all the time so if one slips through the cracks (happens to me sometimes as well) you just gotta call 'em back and let them know what's up and they are always good on their word. Like WhippleBlowJob said, Cody will help you out anytime of the day (he's helped me out late at night when I had an issue with my exhaust) and is always happy to help at the same time, too.

WhippleBlowJob

PUUUUURGE!!!
Established Member
Well I got dynoed and I am in need of a tune pretty bad. It made 480 hp and 473 tq. The car is very lean though and needs a few things to make it safe.

Remember what I said about James doing Diablo tunes? I take that back....apparently not many tuners will use Diablo anymore. They are starting to have problems.

The reason you think they were buy buy buy, is because if you wanted them to tune your car, you HAVE to get an SCT tuner. They dont use anything else for Fords.

Hey LSUstang.....tell them your numbers with your setup on the Lightning from Rick and then with cody.....haha.

1crzhrs

1CRZHRS
Established Member
i've used both stang-hi and total performance solutions. flawless tunes on both accounts, and great guys no matter what one you go with. they both have preloaded dyno's, so accuracy is on point as well once you hit the streets. really i'd say talk to everyone out there, then make your decision based on what you've seen and have learned about each individual place for yourself.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
i've used both stang-hi and total performance solutions. flawless tunes on both accounts, and great guys no matter what one you go with. they both have preloaded dyno's, so accuracy is on point as well once you hit the streets. really i'd say talk to everyone out there, then make your decision based on what you've seen and have learned about each individual place for yourself.
That is what I plan on doing. I wish someone was closer to central LA. It takes a whole day to plan a dyno tune for me because of the driving distance. Anyway, thanks for the info.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Remember what I said about James doing Diablo tunes? I take that back....apparently not many tuners will use Diablo anymore. They are starting to have problems.

The reason you think they were buy buy buy, is because if you wanted them to tune your car, you HAVE to get an SCT tuner. They dont use anything else for Fords.

Hey LSUstang.....tell them your numbers with your setup on the Lightning from Rick and then with cody.....haha.

My numbers before getting tuned by Cody was 409rwhp/493ft-lbs of torque. After the tune with Cody my truck made 441rwhp/509ft-lbs of torque with a DEAD FLAT A/F curve (this was in about 60-65˚ weather). Here is the dyno graph of it:

jordandyno.jpg

He has it tuned for 11.8 a/f on 15 deg timing for my "aggressive" (lol) tune, 11.8 a/f on 13 deg timing for my "safe" tune and then 12.0 on 15 deg of timing for my "race" tune. My race tune made the 441/509 and with the "aggressive" tune it made 436/504.

Also, take note that the Smoothing is set to ZERO so the flatness of the a/f curve is the "real" curve...not smoothed out to look good.

LSUstang05

Established Member
From my original post on a different site:
The dyno #'s are STD. Cody explained to me that the DynoJet guys told him that here in Louisiana where we are AT sea level, the STD is what you make. SAE is more used for guys that are above sea level in climate that isn't like this, essentially. Besides, the air in the shop was in the low-mid 70's through all pulls.

STD corrected to SAE is to change the temp/humidity to a specific point (around 75˚ IIRC) and it was around 70-75 in the shop the day it was tuned. SAE is also corrected for sea level and seeing that you are from Denham Springs, you know that BR is damn near sea level. If there was any change at all in my numbers, it definitely wouldn't be a 30hp/20ft-lbs difference. I'll see if I can get you the SAE #'s since everybody always throws a fit over it, though.

The main point of the post was to show that with ZERO smoothing, my air/fuel (and to a lesser extent, hp/tq) curves are DEAD flat. Not many tuners I know of can do that. Most have to turn on smoothing to make it look like it's a flat a/f curve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread