Louder Axle back

Bryanh24

Established Member
Hello, I've got long tubes with a catted x and stock OTA's on my 2014 gt. I currently have gt500 axlebacks paired with the longtubes but I want a little louder. I've been strongly considering the Borla S types. Any other opinions? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

noldevin

Established Member
gt500s with no resonators is very popular and will give you a little more volume. Borla S-types will be considerably louder, but they sound GREAT.
A lot of people like Corsa Sports, but I'm not a fan of the Corsa exhausts personally.
You could also get a catless midpipe for a lot more volume and some more power, but you'll have to figure out how to deal with emissions inspection if that is a problem in your state.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
I second magnaflow. I have the street series axleback with headers, offroad x, and lethal overaxle pipes. I had gt500 axleback with the same setup before and didnt think it sounded deep enough. If you like how your current setup sounds and just want a little louder getting rid of the resonators would be a good way to start. Then if its still not loud enough you could try switching to an offroad midpipe or different axleback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Canadian5.0

Established Member
I got Borla S with Long tubes/catted X and no resonators. My friends say they hear me racing around all the time but it's just me driving normal. Had Atak with the long tubes and it lasted a weekend before I hurt my own ear.

KushBandit

Established Member
You could cut out the resonators, as said. That'll give you a bit more volume. Do you have cats? The GT500s sound much better without cats.

I have long tubes, O/R H pipe, resonator delete and GT500 mufflers. IMHO, the GT500 sound nice, but they're missing the "rawness" of something like a Borla or Corsa setup.

Canadian5.0

Established Member
I went from muffler deletes to borla atak's and was happy about the no drone but they were surprisingly way too quiet(this is before the headers). That's when I took out the resonators and ya it got quite a bit louder but still didn't affect the in car drone.

Can't imagine catless with my current setup but from what I hear the gt500's aren't too loud to begin with so it might give it that extra umph like deleting resonators.

matt5058

Established Member
I have Roush axle backs and I love them. I get tons of compliments from random folks....I think they may be too loud for some though. Also, if I ever did headers and an X pipe, I'd probably need to switch to something more muffled.

Edit: Apparently I didn't even read the original post because I just realized you have long tubes/x pipe. Yeah, I'm sure something with mufflers will be a much better choice, lol.

Last edited:

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
Corsa extremes. Running them with longtubes and offroad h with no res

Same here. Corsa Xtreme w/ MBRP offroad Hpipe and longtube setup. Quiet at idle & low RPM and a beast when you get on it. Plus, no drone lol. I tried to find a video of my car but failed, all I have is this:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/ponygrrl03/videos/10154505392356060/[/video]

Bryanh24

Established Member
Alright, so. I have been looking into the kooks axlebacks and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY48d9HZGpw

Now, that guy in the video has the catback on his car. What if I get the kooks axlebacks and do a resonator delete with the stock OTA's? Will I get the same sound as the kooks catback?

JDos1

Established Member
Alright, so. I have been looking into the kooks axlebacks and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY48d9HZGpw

Now, that guy in the video has the catback on his car. What if I get the kooks axlebacks and do a resonator delete with the stock OTA's? Will I get the same sound as the kooks catback?

For the most part yes. Do be aware that Kooks a/b's with reso deletes and an Offroad mid pipe are insanely quiet still. Though IMO they do have the absolute best tone hands down. Just quiet.

Bryanh24

Established Member
For the most part yes. Do be aware that Kooks a/b's with reso deletes and an Offroad mid pipe are insanely quiet still. Though IMO they do have the absolute best tone hands down. Just quiet.

Hmm, I actually have a catted mid pipe too lol. It seemed pretty loud in the video though?

JDos1

Established Member
Hmm, I actually have a catted mid pipe too lol. It seemed pretty loud in the video though?

I noticed, which is why I'm telling you. lol They are much quieter than the GT500's. Videos can be deceptive.

All together I've run a bunch of different combos and am back with O/R H, reso deletes, and GT500's after over 140k miles of testing on the Coyote.
Total of 12 different setups. I kept going back to Borla S types for a while.

Originally ran all stock, Gt500's.
Reso deletes, GT500's.
Cat deletes GT500s.
O/R H, reso deletes GT500's.
O/R H, reso deletes, Flowmaster American Thunders (good tone, droned like a SOB though)
O/R H, reso deletes, Borla S Types.
O/R H, reso deletes, RTR Comp specs (disliked big time, ran those for less than 25 miles)
O/R H, reso deletes, Borla S Types.
O/R H, reso deletes, Kooks ab (best tone, just too quiet, moderate drone if giving any throttle above cruising, say climbing a slight incline on the hwy=drone)
O/R H, reso deletes, Borla S types
Installed trailer hitch, could no longer run S Types (wouldn't clear, have to use OE hangar location on the muffler itself)
O/R H, reso deletes, OEM mufflers (good tone, quiet, no drone)
O/R H, reso deletes, GT500's (current setup and overall my favorite. Not overly loud, not "underly" quiet, no drone). I'd continue running this setup even if I ever removed the hitch (Which I won't).

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! If you are looking for a great tone and only a little more volume, our Street Axleback #15151 would work perfectly! You can see some more info on it here:
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15151

Yeah go with these guys. I have their x-pipe which was made very well, you can tell when it comes out of the box the quality. My Flowmaster outlaw on the other hand rusted within the first few weeks, so nobody here get that!

Users who are viewing this thread