Loud rattle when clutch is out

Rev Happy

Established Member
I just installed a Mcleod RST twin disc and everything seems to be fine except I have a loud rattle when the clutch is not engaged. I thought it would be a simple fix with the firewall adjuster, but the noise is there whether the adjuster is turned clockwise or counterclockwise. Is this a TOB retainer sleeve issue? The clutch engages great and the tranny shifts like butter but the rattle noise sounds horrible.

RonRon23

Established Member
Take your inspection cover off, then see if the sound persists.

I just had my clutch redone and it sounded like something tin like or metal was banging around. Took my inspection cover off, and the sound stopped. I could see the mark where the clutch fork has been rubbing on it, or vibrating on it. Since there was no more foam on the cover, I put a small bead of rtv along the mating edges of the cover. Let it dry off the car, then resintalled. While Tightening the bolt that holds the cover on, I noticed it shifts the cover towards the fork, So you might want to hold it over to the passenger side of the car while you tighten it. So far that has stopped my sound

01-04Cobra

Established Member
Try the above, but sounds like TOB. Don't use the TOB that comes with the clutch, get a OEM GT500 or even a standard FRPP tob. There's a reason why OEM last so long on these cars.

Last edited:

thelpb

Established Member
You broke the bearing retainer

+1 a loud rattle is likely the retainer sleeve. Could be the bearing itself too though, but they usually squeal or chrip when they go bad.

I bought a Fidanza clutch a while back that came with a Spec TOB. It made more noise than my 50k mile oem TOB. I ended up taking the transmission out and putting in an FRPP piece.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
When my second TOB went out and the clutch was out it would knock...Like it sounded like someone was taking a hammer to my tranny. Took it back to the shop (I had just had it installed less than 1000 miles before) and come to find out they put the TOB that came out of the SPEC 3 kit in, instead of the FRPP one I had given them. Needless to say my TOB somehow had shattered into about 3 pieces and ate up my retainer sleeve. They replaced it all for free!

Users who are viewing this thread