LOUD rattle noise coming from clutch

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
Okay so i bought the car about 6 months ago and this sound happened every once in a blue moon, but not nearly as loud or prevelent as it is now. 3 months ago i took the car out in the cold, lost control and crashed into a small tree. damage was heat exchanger, bumper, hood, condenser, rad, rad support, and a few suspension things control arms ect. so i got the car back 2 days ago from the shop (took them 3 months to fix it) (Ulitimate Collision Edison NJ) and the sound happens everytime i start/take out the car. i will start the car and let it idle, and after about 2 minutes a loud rattle noise comes from under the car. When i press the clutch in, the sound goes away. The only things i can think of are TOB, retainer sleeve, clutch fork, or cable being the problem. it sounds like something it either bouncing around, or smacking upside the casing. any help you guys can give me i really appreciate. heres a link to a video i made of the car making the noise- hopefully it will help.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=2775fffad9&view=att&th=1274f5c35f83f641&attid=0.1&disp=attd&zw

divided

Established Member
If it goes away when you depress the clutch I would say its the TOB. How many miles on the TOB and mods on the car? Specifically do you have a aftermarket firewall adjuster/clutch quadrant?

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
if that link doesnt work for anyone i just uploaded it on youtube...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM-nv-8Xh1M"]YouTube- clutch rattle sound-1.3GP[/ame]

divided

Established Member
^^ That doesnt sound like a TOB. Almost sounds like the TOB broke or the sleeve is damaged. Im sure someone will chime in with more info. But the video definetly helps.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
yea thats what i thought, its not really a squealing noise which the TOBs make when damaged. but yea thanks for your input anyway

*P*Grass

i need to get 600+ on 20$
Established Member
i got the same thing here, but mines not as bad. i taught i knew how to drive a manual but this will be the 2nd time i replace everything, starting to wonder if its me or the car? i hear things about some stock internals in the tranny not lasing to long ie. TOB?

Last edited:

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
anyone think it could have anything to do w tranny? im being told by a local ford dealer mechanic that something could be broke inside the tranny and he advices me NOT to drive it at all. Any other thoughts??

futureSVT

Established Member

Syrus_Rane

Established Member
Sounds like throw out bearing retainer is broke. Happened to mine also and sounded just like that.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
mine did this exact same thing .. does the sound repetition increase with rpms? mine was the tob sleeve .. it broke and was hitting the input shaft causing the noise ... i bought a new sleeve from lethal

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
thats the thing, it doesnt really increase with the rpms. i think that i have a broken TOB and also the fork is smaking around like futureSVT showed in his thread. I can hear the TOB sqeual every once in a while but the louder more prevelent noise is the smacking back and forth noise..

gatty1303

Established Member
i had the same problem and it was the retainer sleeve...drove it about 15 miles until it got to the shop and had to replace the fork, TOB, retainer sleeve, and it caused damage to my flywheel as well...went ahead and bought a steel flywheel and spec 2+.

Users who are viewing this thread