Loud rattle in engine - oh no....

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Guys: I last drove the GT500 on Friday night, nearly a week ago. Seemed to run great and I did not hear anything funky. I loaded a new tune in it this morning and attempted to drive to work. There is a terrible rattling sound in the engine now that sounds proportional to the RPMs. I drove it maybe 2 miles then stopped to check under the hood. Indeed it sounds like a chain saw or 2-stroke motor. But, it seems to idle just fine and drove normal. Of course I did not get on the throttle at all. I am petrified, turned around and brought it home. In my garage it is even louder and definitely in the engine. Could it be the new tune? If not, what happened? I suppose something could have left go when I last drove it, but I did not notice this and surely think I would have heard it then.

Thanks....

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Any ideas where to even begin on this? Seemed fine last time it was driven.... I loaded an old tune and the sound was the same, if not louder now. What's next....

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Well.... I got on the horn with BJ from VMP. As always, he came through in flying colors. First, he sent me a new tune within minutes. I loaded the tune and the rattle was still there. Then, I did a datalog and sent it to BJ. Within minutes he read the tune and said it looked spot on.... Then, he asked the profound question, are the pulley bolts tight??? I was very skeptical of this, but indeed, the bolts were very loose. In fact, I was the person who tightened them... I had to run for a meeting, but I tightened them quickly and fired it up. Sure enough, no rattle.

Anything I should look for to see if the loose pulley did any damage? BJ said there is no torque spec, but to use some Blue Loctite on them, will do that tonight.

Panic over. Thanks everyone!

AMWill

Well.... I got on the horn with BJ from VMP. As always, he came through in flying colors. First, he sent me a new tune within minutes. I loaded the tune and the rattle was still there. Then, I did a datalog and sent it to BJ. Within minutes he read the tune and said it looked spot on.... Then, he asked the profound question, are the pulley bolts tight??? I was very skeptical of this, but indeed, the bolts were very loose. In fact, I was the person who tightened them... I had to run for a meeting, but I tightened them quickly and fired it up. Sure enough, no rattle.

Anything I should look for to see if the loose pulley did any damage? BJ said there is no torque spec, but to use some Blue Loctite on them, will do that tonight.

Panic over. Thanks everyone!

Hey Doc,

So glad that this was just an easy fix and you can rest easy tonight! In regards to the pulley being loose, you have nothing to worry about when you only went that short of a distance, simply make sure everything is tight and you're good to go! We've had loose pullys, snapped belts, etc and none of it has caused any damage unless you pretend it's not there and keep driving!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Will

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys, to say i was down in the dumps this AM is an understatement! Yes, the aftermarket blower (VMP Gen II) has a bolt-on pulley. To me, it looks super cool and does not require a puller to install/remove the pulley. However, I can attest that it is critical to get bolted down properly!

Speedboosted

Established Member
Thanks guys, to say i was down in the dumps this AM is an understatement! Yes, the aftermarket blower (VMP Gen II) has a bolt-on pulley. To me, it looks super cool and does not require a puller to install/remove the pulley. However, I can attest that it is critical to get bolted down properly!

This is good to know since vmp installed the same quick change hub on the trinity blower I bought from them. Loctite and some muscles should get it tight, without breaking the bolts of course.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Warning: Don't use these specs for aluminum.
Bolt Torque Chart.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
So, I assume the bolts holding on the pulley are going into a piece of steel, not aluminum, right? It is a bit funky looking since it seems to me that the bolt would inherently have a small amount of "slop" where the pulley holes line up with threads on the bolt, or???

Users who are viewing this thread