Loud popping after pulley installation.

StewartJ23

Established Member
Hey guys, let me start by saying I'm new to all this so cut me some slack. After market parts on my 03 cobra engine wise are a ported dragon throttle body and plenum, borla exhaust, jlt true cold air intake, 2.76 billetflow pulley, 100mm billetflow idler, and belt sized to it. Just got all the parts on and ordered a sct tuner from american muscle, after getting my parts on and putting the custom tune from bama tuning on my car I can definitely tell a difference in power. My problem is in 1st or even 2nd or 3rd gear. If I floor it from a slow roll or just about any time unless the rpms are way high, it will just start making this loud popping noise, similar to back firing but not quite. It also seems to get hardly any power to the wheels until I let off and just start easing into it. Just seems like anytime I floor it its just not taking off like it should or performing. Just looking to see whats going on, maybe a new tune? Any help is appreciated thanks!

leegro1015

Established Member
It sounds like it is detonating, which kills motors. What fuel are you using, and what fuel did they tune for? Sounds like the timing is off. Try data logging and see how much timing is being put in the motor. Which plugs are you usIng and what Is the gap? Are you using a boost a pump? Also check to see what lambda is being requested. It won't necessarily be what is being delivered. You would need a wideband for that.

Last edited:

StewartJ23

Established Member
I'm using premium fuel which is what they tuned it for. I don't have a boost a pump or any of the other things you said. Whats the first step you would take? taking it to someone who knows about it? Getting other mods? Do you think my engine is already messed up from one day of driving it like this?

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Prob not hurt yet but stop beating on it and get a dyno tune! No mail order tunes:nono:

Darren

leegro1015

Established Member
By pegging or maxing out the maf. The ecu can no longer calculate the amount of air coming into the engine, which will cause a lean condition because the computer no longer know ls how much fuel to supply.

leegro1015

Established Member
Nope. I am sure the tune you have they should have raised the maf transfer function limit to max.

StewartJ23

Established Member
Well finally got it tuned and all and its running like a dream! I think it was a cross between bad spark plugs, a bad tune, and water shooting into the CAI from a hard downpour we had. Thanks for all the help fella's!

Users who are viewing this thread