Loud Hummming from front end!

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Alright. 2001 SVt Cobra here completely stock save for a pro 5.0 shifter. I noticed lately that when I accelerate and reach about 45 to 50 miles per hour, there is a loud humming noise coming from what seems like the front end. What could this be? For what it's worth, my tires are damned near bald and will be replaced soon. Anyone have any ideas? When I put the clutch in, the noise is still there. The noise is speed sensitive, not rpm sensitive.

CobraRookie

Established Member
Humming

The humming is the engine running....:lol: Kidding. Could be the tires or the rear end. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the noise comes from. Might even be a wheel bearing. Check the wheels for heat after you've been somewhere. Usually tires get louder as they wear. That's likely all it is.
Don

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Yeah, I had a wheel bearing go out on an old 66 mustang and it made a grinding noise. This really sounds like tire noise. It juse came on so sudden that I suspected it to be something else. Thank for your help guys.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
does it do it at lower speeds or at idle? when my alternator was about to poop out it made a whining/humming at idle and low speeds. just a thought....

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
99riocobra said:
does it do it at lower speeds or at idle? when my alternator was about to poop out it made a whining/humming at idle and low speeds. just a thought....

I think it's making the noise at lower speeds, just barely audible. It's loudest around 40 mph. Unlike bearing noise though, it isn't louder or different sounding when turning. It's steady and constant. As speeds increase, it gets higher pitched and is harder to hear.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
my alternator noise kinda got higher as speed/revs increased too. just keep an eye(or ear) on it for a bit and if it keeps getting louder then i would suggest having the alternator tested. or you could do that now just to check....good luck.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
99riocobra said:
my alternator noise kinda got higher as speed/revs increased too. just keep an eye(or ear) on it for a bit and if it keeps getting louder then i would suggest having the alternator tested. or you could do that now just to check....good luck.

Well I know for a fact it's not alt. I got cruising about 40 and just shut the motor off in neutral, and the noise is still there. As you coast down, the pitch changes. LIke I said, it's speed sensitive and has nothing to do with the motor. Thanks for the suggestions though. Guess I'll just have to do some more tests.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Well I know for a fact it's not alt. I got cruising about 40 and just shut the motor off in neutral, and the noise is still there. As you coast down, the pitch changes. LIke I said, it's speed sensitive and has nothing to do with the motor. Thanks for the suggestions though. Guess I'll just have to do some more tests.
i see. since you said it does it while the motor is off, i would probably spring for the tires then. wouldn't hurt to try that out first especially since it sounds like you need them anyway....

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Yeah, I'm just going to order them next week. I need new ones anyways. I was just hoping it wasn't a bearing! Thanks guys.

01 Venom

Established Member
Sounds like tires, bearings would grind more then hum, but i dont what kind of miles you got on her, bearings are always a good thing to replace every now and then

Users who are viewing this thread