loud clunk/bang when you let out on clutch

8URSRT

Established Member
I am looking at an 03' at a dealer that has a issue. They have discounted the price and do not want to fix it. The car is 600 miles from so I can't just go look and see what it may be. So I need opinions or someone in the Chicago area that would be willing to check the car out for me.

The problem it has is when driving or sitting in nuetral everytime you let out on the clutch there is a loud clunk/bang. This is per the salesman over the phone. He says it is pretty bad. With the dealer not wanting to fix it my first thoughts is it may be something in the motor.

Any ideas?

laterbra

Established Member
i also have the clunk bang, i actually came on here today to figure out a cure.
when i put it in first gear and raise the clutch to the release point i hear a clunk. not super loud but loud enough to be concerned. any one else have this issue?

perry2k12

Established Member
I have the exact same clunk noise, it is very apparently coming from the rear end. I personally think there is some play in the differential itself, but a master mechanic told me it is really nothing to be concerned about.

josh2016

Established Member
"This is what was described to me as "spindown".

To avoid this, wait for 2-3 seconds with the clutch pedal in, before selecting first. Sitting still with the clutch out still spins the input shaft, and when we put the clutch in and select first the spinning input shaft takes up the slack in the countershaft and the output shaft, causing the bump. The T-56 has a lot of slack in it even when new.

This is another band-aid maneuver just like selecting first before engaging reverse to avoid a graunch. There's a lot going on inside that manual transmission."

i quoted this from Joenashville from a poll in the Terminator Archive. here is the link to the thread. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-your-tranny-thump-when-going-into-first.html

alot of people commented on that thread so im sure it will be some help to read it

Last edited:

jbdawg05

Established Member
loud clunk!!

My car started a awful clunking noise yesterday and after looking at it tonight two bolts are completely gone out of the rear housing that go through the irs brace through the housing to whatever it connects too, Whenever I put it in gear and let of clutch the housing actually hits the floorboard!! Sounds awful but its only two bolts missing, I know IRS cars have alot of other clunks but you may be having the same problem as me?? :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread