Loud banging under car when hard rain...

joey289

Established Member
2013 5.0 6-speed Manual
All stock except for cat back
9,200 miles

This morning was the 2nd really hard rain I have driven in where there was standing water on the road. I get this really loud banging noise after having to drive through a few of the water puddles. It is very hard to pin point because these cars are very loud inside when raining hard.

It seems to do it when I accelerate and it almost feels like the car is not accelerating as it should when it happens. Also, when I pulled into my parking spot this morning (hard left with clutch pushed in) it did it.

It only does this when it is raining hard enough for water to collect on the roadways. Therefore it is very hard to reproduce it.

Anybody got any ideas?

joey289

Established Member
Are you sure is not wheel hop?

Wheel hop shouldn't happen when turning into parking spot should it?

Also, the first time it did it it last for about 2 miles on way home on a 30 mph street. No wheel spin or hard accelerator. It sounded like my exhaust had come loose and I was dragging it. First thing I did when I got home was see if the exhaust was hanging down lol.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Is this noise occuring when turning only? If so could be a differental issue. Were any of these puddles deep enough to submerge the rear pumpkin?

joey289

Established Member
Is this noise occuring when turning only? If so could be a differental issue. Were any of these puddles deep enough to submerge the rear pumpkin?

No, it does it going straight too. None of the puddles were that deep.... althought they may have splashed up on stuff.

The banging sounds like it is coming from transmission forward and on the right side. (But again very hard to pinpoint). Sounds/feels like a monkey hitting the underside of car with hammer.

The first time it happened 3 things ran through my mind:

1)exhaust came loose and was dragging ( obviously it wasn't when I checked)
2)Extreme exhaust leak ( I checked all exhaust clamps when on lift and all were tight)
3) really really really bad clutch chatter ( doesn't make sense when turning left into parking spot when clutch is pushed in and on the brakes though).

joey289

Established Member
Does it do it during or after you go through standing water?

Both but I notice it more when after. Like when I turned into parking spot...i had been about a 1/2 mile since the last spot of standing water.

I have narrowed it down to something gets wet and doesn't like it. On another forum someone suggested there is a monkey under the car that gets pissed when he gets wet. Makes as much sense as anything else lol.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Both but I notice it more when after. Like when I turned into parking spot...i had been about a 1/2 mile since the last spot of standing water.

I have narrowed it down to something gets wet and doesn't like it. On another forum someone suggested there is a monkey under the car that gets pissed when he gets wet. Makes as much sense as anything else lol.

I'm thinking differential as well. I went through a deep water spot in Arlington on my F150 and after I emerged, made a right turn on to another street, the truck just started clunking and kicking when I tried to accelerate. I thought I had got water in my intake (I was lowered 3/5) but it went away after a few more minutes.

joey289

Established Member
I'm thinking differential as well. I went through a deep water spot in Arlington on my F150 and after I emerged, made a right turn on to another street, the truck just started clunking and kicking when I tried to accelerate. I thought I had got water in my intake (I was lowered 3/5) but it went away after a few more minutes.

It will also make the sound going straight. Going to be hard to get a dealership to look at it when I can't reproduce it.

Gradyh

WTB MY21/22 order
Established Member
I suspect rear diff as well. I had a 3.42 locker in a sierra that got wet and made the same terrible sounds. has your car had the tsb done for the rear diff?

joey289

Established Member
I suspect rear diff as well. I had a 3.42 locker in a sierra that got wet and made the same terrible sounds. has your car had the tsb done for the rear diff?

No...I have not heard of it. Do you know the TSB # or have a link?

Edit: I googled that and that is for differentials that have a leaky vent. Mine does not have the problem therefore the TSB does not apply to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread