lost power/low gas mileage in a '98 cobra?

pauliac

Established Member
maybe its just me, but it seems like my cobra isn't making as much power as it should.

I did a pull earlier tonight from 20 mph in second gear, flooring it, it felt like a darned v6 to me.

I know I was in low rpm, but I should still be making some power.

Also, the last few tanks (all city driving) i've been getting between 13 and 14.5 mpg, which seems low because I used to get 16 in town.

So my question is, what should I be looking for here?

I plan on doing new plugs this week, but it seems like I just did those about 15,000 miles ago.

I also plan on replacing the fuel filter soon, to be honest, I don't know when the last time it was replaced was.

I did seafoam about 10,000 miles ago as well, maybe time for more?

anyway, is there anything else I should replace/look for?

It doesn't feel like its misfiring, and its not throwing any codes.

stock motor except for k&n.
EDIT: actually, could I need to clean my k&n?

gq916

Established Member
do the plugs, air filter, fuel filter for sure. Check your tire pressure too. Maybe u have a lot of gunk built up in the imrc plates..u should do the imrc deletes and clean everything in there.

mystical

Established Member
do the plugs, air filter, fuel filter for sure. Check your tire pressure too. Maybe u have a lot of gunk built up in the imrc plates..u should do the imrc deletes and clean everything in there.

+1. I changed out plugs, wires, and fuel filter and my mpg increased significantly.

If cleaning the k&n, be sure not to over-oil it. That oil can wreck havoc if it gets on the maf.

Also, these cars don't make much torque so don't expect much from a low rpm punch. If you have stock gears swap them out with 4.56's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread