Lost flywheel weight?

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I searched idle probs, but couldn't find anything that matches mine. The whole car shakes just like dad's 68 camaro with the 454 and the big cam...which would be cool if I had changed the cams out.

The power seems right, but the lope is aggrevating. It goes away around 1500rpm, and has never thrown a code.

I've changed the upstream o2's, plugs, and the FRP sensor, and it was recently tuned by Jerry from Superchips (but the problem existed well before he tuned it). The old plugs told no story. I can't think of any mod that I did anywhere near the time it started. When the car is cold, it doesn't do it, but will start within 2 minutes.

Jerry thought that maybe it had thrown a weight off a flywheel or something :cryying: But if that where the case, I would think it would get worse with higher RPM.

Any thoughts?

stang007

Established Member
Apparently I have the clutch chatter and squeal that's associated with these cars and also notice after that started, that I too have a slight lope at idle. Thought it was the plugs, but changed them and still have it. I'm replacing the clutch/flywheel in the next week or two because kenne bell's on the way so I'm hoping this will fix it. Hope this helps

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I've wondered if clutch drag could cause it. I think mine drags a little. Wouldn't I smell clutch burn if it were though?

FINICKY

Established Member
not if the car is in neutral. Its engaged but just freewheeling.

Hmmm I rember a long while back about flywheels being out of balance. Mine has a weird vibe at like 3800 that kinda feels like somethings out of balance when you rev it to 3800. Does it only do it at idle? what about a little above idle? Can it be heard out the exhaust? Try disconnecting the battery to make it relearn idle again to make sure its not just a computer idle problem.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Yes, It only does it at idle and just briefly while revving up. The computer has been reflashed and it still does it.

Someone told me that our flywheels had the weights molded in, and so they couldn't be thrown. I wish I knew for sure.

If a cylinder wasn't firing at idle, but was when revved a little, how could you ever tell? The plugs wouldn't be fouled since it burned when revved, would they?

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
You know, I do hear a "decompression" type noise when I kill the engine that wasn't there when the car was newer. Maybe you're on to something there.

How would you check for a leak with the Predator though? Which parameter would you check?

Users who are viewing this thread