Lost both keys to my 2011

351inside

Established Member
I haven't been on the forums in a long time, but I need y'all's guys help. I lost the only key I had left for my car this weekend and I need to get replacements... Every locksmith I've called says the key alone coast over 125 plus programming costs, dealer wants 300 a key... I've seen a lot of you guys in the last but keys for way cheaper than that and I was wondering if any of you could help me with a link to a key that would work... Thanks for the help

rz5.0

Established Member
I just got mine replace on my 98 two hours ago.. nephew lost mine... $265 for 2 keys.. I really doubt it will get any cheaper for you tho.. if you could get the key code it might be cheaper. .the lock Smith gave it to me for future keys. . He said it would make things cheaper. . Not sure how that works on the newer cars tho..

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you do not have any keys you will need to have it towed to the dealer. They will have to do a verification with you and cut and program 2 new keys to your VIN. You will have to provide your insurance and drivers license to get it done.

rz5.0

Established Member
The lockSmith that came to my house told me no car should have to be towed. . New or old. .. he was telling me a lot of dealers send him to consumers homes so they don't have to get the vehicle towed to the dealer. .

351inside

Established Member
Do any if y'all know if the keys they sell on eBay work? They charge me 100 to program and cut the key but every locksmith wants to sell me the key for 125+ just wondering if the ones on eBay work since they say they're programmable if you have two keys

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I haven't been on the forums in a long time, but I need y'all's guys help. I lost the only key I had left for my car this weekend and I need to get replacements... Every locksmith I've called says the key alone coast over 125 plus programming costs, dealer wants 300 a key... I've seen a lot of you guys in the last but keys for way cheaper than that and I was wondering if any of you could help me with a link to a key that would work... Thanks for the help
If you do not have any keys you will need to have it towed to the dealer. They will have to do a verification with you and cut and program 2 new keys to your VIN. You will have to provide your insurance and drivers license to get it done.
Have you taken care of this yet, 351inside? Since you have no keys to your vehicle, your best bet will be to bring it in to your dealer. Blazer707 has provided the correct steps to do so as well. Here’s the full info:

Vehicles key codes for the past ten model years may be obtained from your dealership to allow the dealership to cut a new key without having a current key available to copy. For security reasons, this information can only be provided to you in person by visiting the dealership. Once at the dealership, you will be required to produce two pieces of information:

· Personal Identification such as a valid Driver's License or a state-issued picture I.D.

· Vehicle documentation with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and the name of the person seeking the key codes. Examples could include: a current Vehicle Registration, current Certificate of Automobile Insurance, Vehicle Title, or Bill of Sale.

PROGRAMMING SPARE KEYS
Spare SecuriLock keys can be purchased from your dealership and programmed to your vehicle (up to a total of eight keys). Your dealership can program your new SecuriLock key(s) to your vehicle or you can do it yourself by using the procedures outlined in your Owner's Manual.

To program a new SecuriLock key yourself, you will need two previously programmed SecuriLock keys (keys that already start your vehicle's engine). If two previously programmed SecuriLock keys are not available (one or both of your original keys were lost or stolen), you must take your vehicle to your dealership to have the spare SecuriLock key(s) programmed.

You can shop around different Ford Dealers, as some of them have different pricing.

Deysha

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
FordService, were you not aware of the new key code policy Ford put into place the dealers must follow? All key code requests must be accompanied by a Repair Order number when means the vehicle has to be present in service at the dealership.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
FordService, were you not aware of the new key code policy Ford put into place the dealers must follow? All key code requests must be accompanied by a Repair Order number when means the vehicle has to be present in service at the dealership.
This depends on that dealer's policy on opening an RO, bdcardinal. At the very least, the customer must present themselves at the dealer to sign the RO and provide proof of ownership with a vehicle registration and driver’s license. However, if all of the keys are lost and require replacement (like 351inside), the vehicle must be towed to the dealer. Again, it is up to the dealer and their specific policies.

Deysha

Clevor1

Established Member
Lesson learned: get spare keys cut before you lose them.

I had 4 spare keys cut for my 2013 GT Premium, but only the first 2 have all the buttons functioning. That's the limit from the factory and the car's computer will keep track. The last two keys I had made has all the buttons, but they don't work, but they start the car. I programmed them all myself using the directions in the owner's manual. The reason I had so many keys cut is I wanted to hide one underneath the car, and I didn't want to use the OEM Ford blanks with all the buttons working, in case the key box falls off the car.

I found the generic blanks on Ebay or Amazon are not as good as the OEM Ford blanks. If you shop around the internet, you can find the genuine Ford blanks for around $80-110. I found the generic stuff had smaller icons on the keys so harder to see, or button pads were combined and not one pad per button, etc. Be careful who you buy the blanks from. some vendors won't accept returns if the plastic bag is opened.

Good luck getting somebody qualified to cut them. Most the established keys shops in my area won't cut keys unless you buy the blanks from them. I stormed out of more than one place. I found a rogue locksmith, somewhat high tech, who would cut them for maybe $35, but he was trying to get established.

You can try the high school dropout working at Lowes or Home Depot, but if the key don't work you will have to eat the cost of the blank. At that point, all they will try to do is file the burrs off the cut area to get it to turn in the ignition.

Users who are viewing this thread