Losing Power. Help Please

JumaadJ

Established Member
I've had my 2011 gt for about 5 months now and not too long ago I had a CEL turn up a p0420 and p0430 code at the same time. This is the catalytic converter inefficiency code and it didn't seem to affect performance at all so I ignored it for the moment as I plan on removing the cats when doing the x-pipe. I installed gt500 axlebacks and the code remained (occasionally leaving but always returning).

For the past few days the cars throttle response has been terrible and it feels like it is driving very lean. Another reason I feel like it's running lean is because my mpg had jumped from about 17-18 to about 23-24 which hasn't happened since I got it. Can this code also be the cause of bad o2's or can the cats affect performance this way? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2011 GT
A6
GT 500 Axleback
otherwise stock

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I had cats go bad and had very similar problems. You bought a 2011 model five months ago, so the previous owner could have melted them, which can happen from running rich or from forced induction. Do you live in a state that requires emissions tests? If not, then just get rid of them. You will enjoy the results either way.

JumaadJ

Established Member
I had cats go bad and had very similar problems. You bought a 2011 model five months ago, so the previous owner could have melted them, which can happen from running rich or from forced induction. Do you live in a state that requires emissions tests? If not, then just get rid of them. You will enjoy the results either way.

Did yours also throw those codes?

Users who are viewing this thread