Losing Job; Opinions

lww18

Josh
Established Member
So, I was just wondering what everyone thought about this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24068455/

$4,500 a year equates to $2.34 an hour.

Now, I worked for Hotels.com and then Expedia.com purchased Hotels.com....I use to work in customer service for hotels.com. I lost that job because they outsourced the phone calls to the Philippines and El Salvador. Now I am working for Expedia.com handling flight reservations working through the sabre system. My job entails getting phone calls from tier 1 agents FROM Cebu/Manila Philippines needing help trying to fix a problem one of them created...........I was just informed on Monday that this depart would be closing also and the calls would again be outsourced to the Philippines and El Salvador for "business reasons" Now, the email that was sent says management and HR will do anything to help us move within the company but the only department open for new hires is SALES which would be a definite drop in pay(more than $5 an hour) I guess this is a rant but really I guess I need to get a real education and find a job that would be hard - if not impossible - to outsource the work to a place where they pay the workers 1/5 what they pay in the US........thoughts?

blueovalfan

Established Member
:nonono: Iam sorry to hear about the loss of your job due to outsourcing. When does it quit? Thats just another reason for me to be afraid of flying. Trust me outsourcing is no way to go for quality, I work in the quality department for CAT I see alot of stuff we get from mexico and it is way off. Just goes to show that corperate america doesnt care about safety, just profit.:nonono:

DriveNASCAR

AKA ColdFusion
Established Member
Outsourcing sucks. I've been outsourced, so I know from personal experience.

I think that any company that outsources its workforce should be taxed by the government at an appropriate level to make them lose whatever cost reduction they achieved by the outsourcing.

The airlines outsourcing maintenance is downright scary, since this could put lives at risk. These airlines shouldn't be allowed to fly their planes in American airspace, in my opinion.

My suggestion would be to get into some sort of skilled trade; plumber, electrician, etc. These jobs can't be outsourced.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
One day america is going to wake up and finally have enough with the outsourcing, and every company that does it will go under.

canibus

Established Member
i cancelled my capital one when i called customer service and a lady in india picked up. our economy will never recover if all the money keeps leaving the country. america as a whole has to boycott company's who move their operations overseas

lww18

Josh
Established Member
I just think it's sad. Dont get me wrong, Hotels.com and Expedia were both great companies to work for.....I am just sadden that the company is not worried about quality.......you should hear some of the calls I get from the agents over seas....its like they get mad at me because I cannot understand them when they do not speak plain english.......I know it will hurt them in the long run.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
i cancelled my capital one when i called customer service and a lady in india picked up. our economy will never recover if all the money keeps leaving the country. america as a whole has to boycott company's who move their operations overseas

Bravo! I work for a bank, and ironically, yesterday I heard of two business groups being outsourced over to India effective this June (mostly call-related positions I believe). Moving American jobs overseas is a punch to the gut of our own economy right now.. a government tax on this type of activity definitely has my vote. IMO, its the well-paid executives of large companies that should be the ones taking a pay, but that's another thread.

stangin99

Established Member
The majority of jobs being outsourced are the low-paying undesirable jobs.

As harsh as it may be, get a real/better job. You may need some extra education, or you can just try your hand at sales.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
In my experience, outsourcing support positions is not saving money, regardless what the compnay doing it says publicly. I have seen that first hand in my organization..... They cannot admit it was a flawed decision, and opt to keep throwing money into floating it, instead of bringing it all back inside.

With your experience, try looking at call center, helpdesk, and service desk jobs..... There are still plenty around in DFW, San Antonio, Houston, and Austin that are not outsourcing.....

STG

Banned
O
I think that any company that outsources its workforce should be taxed by the government at an appropriate level to make them lose whatever cost reduction they achieved by the outsourcing.

So, you want the government to artificially keep consumer prices high for the benefit of a few losers?

Last I heard, the United States was a free country and guaranteed employment is not in the Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Go out and find another job. Can't? Maybe you should of stayed in school.

Now go ahead and vote for Obama.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
So, I was just wondering what everyone thought about this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24068455/

$4,500 a year equates to $2.34 an hour.

Now, I worked for Hotels.com and then Expedia.com purchased Hotels.com....I use to work in customer service for hotels.com. I lost that job because they outsourced the phone calls to the Philippines and El Salvador. Now I am working for Expedia.com handling flight reservations working through the sabre system. My job entails getting phone calls from tier 1 agents FROM Cebu/Manila Philippines needing help trying to fix a problem one of them created...........I was just informed on Monday that this depart would be closing also and the calls would again be outsourced to the Philippines and El Salvador for "business reasons" Now, the email that was sent says management and HR will do anything to help us move within the company but the only department open for new hires is SALES which would be a definite drop in pay(more than $5 an hour) I guess this is a rant but really I guess I need to get a real education and find a job that would be hard - if not impossible - to outsource the work to a place where they pay the workers 1/5 what they pay in the US........thoughts?

That sucks...and I feel for you. But...what do you expect? That's an easy job that someone will do for lesser pay. Making yourself valuable is the name of the game. Sales might not sound too bad when you're hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread